Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Spotting Scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Vortex Spotting Scopes

Im in the market for a new spotting scope, but cant afford the $2000+ Zeiss or Swarovski scopes. The Vortex scopes are reasonably priced and Ive read a couple of good reviews, but Im wondering if anyone here has used the 80mm Skyline series? Obviously they wouldnt be on par with the highest end scopes, but are they a cut above everything besides those ones?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex Spotting Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
Im in the market for a new spotting scope, but cant afford the $2000+ Zeiss or Swarovski scopes. The Vortex scopes are reasonably priced and Ive read a couple of good reviews, but Im wondering if anyone here has used the 80mm Skyline series? Obviously they wouldnt be on par with the highest end scopes, but are they a cut above everything besides those ones?

I love Vortex, both as a company and the product itself. However, I'm not to keen on their spotters. I spent time behind the Vortex Skyline ED 20-60x80 and compared it with the Nikon ED50 and the Nikon was much better. I've also had one returned b/c the customer was unhappy with it, and I've received negative comments about them from a couple others. Vortex will be tweaking this line, I beleive.

Beginning tomorrow, Kowa has a super sale going on with their 77mm non-ED series. The TSN 771 and 772 with 25x LER eyepiece is a MAP of $980! These are GREAT spotters and LongRangers pay less.

Scott
Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex Spotting Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyOptics View Post
Beginning tomorrow, Kowa has a super sale going on with their 77mm non-ED series. The TSN 771 and 772 with 25x LER eyepiece is a MAP of $980! These are GREAT spotters and LongRangers pay less.

Scott
So, if the priorities are:

1. judging antlers (or bullet holes) at distance (a.k.a. resolution), and
2. maximum eye relief, and
3. doing the above at dawn and dusk (a.k.a. 77/80+ type of objective).

And, the goal is to come in under $1000, are these the best deal going?