Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Scopes? Any Good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Bronze Member

Vortex Scopes? Any Good?

Hey all.
First time on this forum. I have seen many advertisements for Vortex. Checked out their website. They look ok, and appear to be designed the same way as say the Huskemaw or Greybull.

So what am I not seeing? Are they any good?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex Scopes? Any Good?

Here you go, happy reading!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...archid=1557250

A simple searched easily produced 10 pages worth of threads!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Bronze Member

Very good! I own 3 and will continue to buy more. Viper pst ffp, viper 6.5-20, and their red dot scope. The pst is awesome, go ahead and order yours!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

All the Vipers are popular, mainly because they have desirable features and acceptable optical performance for their price point. The optical contrast is marginal, however, because of higher than average veiling glare. That is my personal assessment from having evaluated them several times at the last three SHOT Shows.

My recommendation depends on your application. For target shooting, and predator and PD hunting I think Vipers are great. For big game hunting, however, I recommend looking elsewhere for scopes that have better glare performance.

What is your application and budget? The more info you provide on caliber, range, reticle preferences, etc., the better the advice you'll get on this board.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

You are more than right Bruce, more information given would provide better results. I am looking for an optic to put on top of my .280 AI. It is a custom rifle and is very accurate to the 900 mark. I have placed shots at this range with a borrowed Night Force. I however do not have the funding for such glass. My budget is near $1400. I am strongly considering a Greybull precision hunting optic, but am still shopping. Dont want to pull the trigger too soon. I am not very familiar with all of my options. I am looking for an optic with range finding capabilities, and turrets that are customizeable.

So with the information given, I would like imput of other long range hunters.

Thanks.
Joe
Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

If your budget is $1400 then you should consider looking for a used Nightforce.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

The 1 vortex viper pa 6.5-20 I own will probably not hunt again. Have just recieved it back from the repair shop and it's the same. In my opinion the the turrets are the weak point, but this is the rock bottom of their viper line. In the end, I feel you get what you pay for. If I had 1400 to spend I'd go with another custom leupold vx3, or maybe try a huskema, or stretch it out a bit and get a nightforce.