Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Vortex scopes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 475
Vortex scopes

Am sure this question has been ask already.
With the Viper PST 6-24X50 with FFP your looking at $950
With the Razor HD 5-20X35 with FFP your looking at $1999
They both seem amazingly clear and from what I hear their warranty is awesome.
Is the razor that much better to warrant an additional $1000
__________________
KC7PWO
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 362
Re: Vortex scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird63 View Post
Am sure this question has been ask already.
With the Viper PST 6-24X50 with FFP your looking at $950
With the Razor HD 5-20X35 with FFP your looking at $1999
They both seem amazingly clear and from what I hear their warranty is awesome.
Is the razor that much better to warrant an additional $1000
Depends on what your doing, the razor has almost 2x the internal travel
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: nw Montana
Posts: 139
Re: Vortex scopes

If you like the razor better then yes. I have had both and I now have lots of pst's and no razor. Not that the razor was not a great scope I just dont think its worth the extra money.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,462
Re: Vortex scopes

Additionally, besides more internal adjustment for elevation, the Razor has the industry buzzword 'HD' glass.

Far as I can tell, HD is a coating nothing more.

The Razor might have better glass than the PST's but again thats conjecture on my part. The warranty is identical, in fact the warranty is identical across th entire line from th least expensive Diamondback to the Razor.

IMO, it distills down to what a purchaser considers necessary......
__________________
'It's not about me, it's about we'..........
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 362
Re: Vortex scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

IMO, it distills down to what a purchaser considers necessary......

There you go. Hypothetically with a 20moa base in a perfect world the pst would give you 42.5 moa of up. If you plan to take a 308 out to the mile mark 42.5 moa of up wont get it. The razor with the same base would give you 82.5 moa of up. I've never taken the 308 to a mile so I don't know if 82.3 will get you there but I would think it would.

Also the zero stops are nicer on the razor, but that doesnt equal 1000 dollars
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central, KY
Posts: 336
Re: Vortex scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
There you go. Hypothetically with a 20moa base in a perfect world the pst would give you 42.5 moa of up. If you plan to take a 308 out to the mile mark 42.5 moa of up wont get it. The razor with the same base would give you 82.5 moa of up. I've never taken the 308 to a mile so I don't know if 82.3 will get you there but I would think it would.

Also the zero stops are nicer on the razor, but that doesnt equal 1000 dollars
I think you should get at least 52 MOA on the PST with a 20 MOA rail.
__________________
Thanks,
Scott
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 362
Re: Vortex scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsims View Post
I think you should get at least 52 MOA on the PST with a 20 MOA rail.

The 6-24 has 65 moa of internal travel (mine actually has 69) but using 65 that means in a perfect world with no cant base you would have 32.5 up. Add the 20 and you have 52.5 so you are correct I had a brain fart. Good catch

With the Razor and a 20moa you would have 82.5
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Vortex scopes
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vortex FFP Scopes Hornhunter32 Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 7 05-11-2012 09:13 AM
Vortex Scopes big mike 2121 Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 2 05-11-2011 02:01 PM
Vortex scopes big mike 2121 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 3 05-09-2011 11:44 PM
Vortex Scopes??? Mr.Moa Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 6 04-28-2011 09:52 PM
Vortex Scopes kc Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 2 02-08-2011 10:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC