Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex scope. Which model?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Bronze Member

Vortex scope. Which model?

I want to outfit my Kimber .243 with a Vortex scope. I'm on the fence as to which model. Most of the time I feel the HS LR 4x16x50 is the right choice. Then start considering the FFP or the HS LR 6x24x50. The larger scope seems a little over kill for the rifle and cartridge. I've also thought of the none LR scope thinking I would probably purchase a custom turret anyway. I value the opinions of you folks on this forum. Which one would you guys choose in the Vortex line up. Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 10:41 PM

Re: Vortex scope. Which model?

I'd go with a Zeiss or Leupold if you have the coin. Buy once, cry once. Vortex quality still needs a lot or work. Might be OK for the short term but you will eventually move on and sell it for a loss.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Bronze Member

Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope

Skip the Leupolds
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
I'd go with a Zeiss or Leupold if you have the coin. Buy once, cry once. Vortex quality still needs a lot or work. Might be OK for the short term but you will eventually move on and sell it for a loss.
got the hs lr ffp with the xlr reticle and have not found a mark 4 yet that makes me feel like I made the wrong choice. leupy aint what it used to be I will take vortex quality against leupy every day.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Bronze Member

4-16 sounds like what you need. There is a new model from Vortex, called the HS-T. It is a 4-16X44 with a reticle similar to that found on the PST, just second plane and non illuminated on the reticle. It also has the exposed elevation and windage turrets for fast changes in the field with a CRS zero stop on the elevation. I have one in MRAD on my 243 and it is working out rather well actually.

I have found no issue with Vortex quality, in fact just the opposite for me. I have now replaced every scope in my collection with a Vortex and I could not be happier.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashman1 View Post
4-16 sounds like what you need. There is a new model from Vortex, called the HS-T. It is a 4-16X44 with a reticle similar to that found on the PST, just second plane and non illuminated on the reticle. It also has the exposed elevation and windage turrets for fast changes in the field with a CRS zero stop on the elevation. I have one in MRAD on my 243 and it is working out rather well actually.

I have found no issue with Vortex quality, in fact just the opposite for me. I have now replaced every scope in my collection with a Vortex and I could not be happier.
Ditto for me too about Vortex quality. The only scope my rifles have on them is Vortex!

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashman1 View Post

Thanks for your input. You helped me a lot. HSLR4x16 it is and I'll explore the T version with the exposed turrets. Where did you see that model for sale? How much? thelindseyranch@gmail.com if you need it.