Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex RZR HD vs. NF NXS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex RZR HD vs. NF NXS

Basically for the extra wieght and esthetics. I donīt quite like how it looks. On the other hand, i donīt think anybody likes to pay for something they donīt think they need.

Donīt get me wrong. I think itīs a very nice scope, but if you offered a non illumited i would definitely look that way. In fact i just bought 2 Vipers.

Last edited by Prieto9000; 08-13-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

Still a throw up for me between the new high speed NF or the vortex. I guess the glass would be like comparing MK4 to NF glass. They look identical to my eye until the sun starts to go down. Also although a lot of people gripe about the magnifier on the NF i really like being able the just grab the scope and turn it instead of just having a small ring to turn with a couple of fingers. I was kinda hoping the glass would be up there close with S&B like their rzr spotting scope is suppose to be dang close to the Swarovski.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
SPONSOR

You might be on to something as I don't know of very many people that a illum reticle is that important to. I've never used mine. Obviously in the military/le market this is probably a very important feature though.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:49 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSteinle View Post
Still a throw up for me between the new high speed NF or the vortex. I guess the glass would be like comparing MK4 to NF glass. They look identical to my eye until the sun starts to go down. Also although a lot of people gripe about the magnifier on the NF i really like being able the just grab the scope and turn it instead of just having a small ring to turn with a couple of fingers. I was kinda hoping the glass would be up there close with S&B like their rzr spotting scope is suppose to be dang close to the Swarovski.
Your not going to go wrong either way. To me the ffp is the main reason to go w/the Vortex. I guess one could also argue that the warranty on the Vortex is another. I think most people that gripe about ffp scopes have the wrong idea about them and have never used one. For serious tactical or long range hunting I think it's the only way to go.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

I have never owned a Razor but I own some vipers and have a PST on order. So I am sure the razor is a great option. Like mentioned above the biggest factor in the choice should be FFP or SFP reticle. I have used both and I am for sure a Second FP shooter / hunter. I do not range with a reticle and do not intend to. I shoot a lot past 700 which is where I would choose to draw the line for reticle ranging. Simply not accurate enough and an easy 10% error in target size will calculate to a 10% error in distance which is 100 yards at 1000.

The reason I like the SFP better is, I in no way wish for my reticle to enlarge with the target size as power is cranked up. I prefer a large target picture and a small reticle for a precise point of aim.... "aim small miss small"

The one thing I would really like to see NightForce and Vortex do, is to have a good look at the IOR MP-8 dot reticle and come up with their own version of a very small floating dot, like the MP-8 dot. This is an awesome reticle and it will allow precise shot placement to long distances with a lower power of magnification. I have shot my 2.5~10 x42 IOR to 1180 yards with very good results. I do not feel this would be an easy task with most other reticles.

Thats my 2 cents.

Jeff
Old 08-13-2010, 03:59 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have never owned a Razor but I own some vipers and have a PST on order. So I am sure the razor is a great option. Like mentioned above the biggest factor in the choice should be FFP or SFP reticle. I have used both and I am for sure a Second FP shooter / hunter. I do not range with a reticle and do not intend to. I shoot a lot past 700 which is where I would choose to draw the line for reticle ranging. Simply not accurate enough and an easy 10% error in target size will calculate to a 10% error in distance which is 100 yards at 1000.

The reason I like the SFP better is, I in no way wish for my reticle to enlarge with the target size as power is cranked up. I prefer a large target picture and a small reticle for a precise point of aim.... "aim small miss small"

The one thing I would really like to see NightForce and Vortex do, is to have a good look at the IOR MP-8 dot reticle and come up with their own version of a very small floating dot, like the MP-8 dot. This is an awesome reticle and it will allow precise shot placement to long distances with a lower power of magnification. I have shot my 2.5~10 x42 IOR to 1180 yards with very good results. I do not feel this would be an easy task with most other reticles.

Thats my 2 cents.

Jeff
I'm w/you 100% on the reticle ranging issue. I don't use a ffp scope b/c I range w/it. I use b/c I hold my wind. I dial the elevation but never touch the windage knob. Much easier and much faster than dialing both and w/a ffp scope you can do this on any power not just high power. This can be very advantagious in any situation where a shot must be taken quickly.

As far as the aim small miss small; it very true on paper but not so much in the field. If you shot a 5 shot group on a deer w/a ffp vs a rfp scope I don't think you would see any difference in group size. Reason being that you don't have a definate "spot" to aim at. You may feel you pic a spot to aim at, but in reality, you don't pic that exact spot everytime you shoot @ a deer as you do on a paper target.

I agree on the IOR reticle. I've seen one and really liked it. That small dot in the center sure would be nice.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey1474 View Post
This can be very advantagious in any situation where a shot must be taken quickly.

You may feel you pic a spot to aim at, but in reality, you don't pic that exact spot everytime you shoot @ a deer as you do on a paper target.
I dial wind unless it is close... like 500 or so. I am not into hurry up fast long range shots on game. Ha ha.. another old saying comes to mind. "Rather have a slow hit than a fast miss" So this is probably why my method has worked so well for me.

As for the point of aim. I never plan to shoot a group at an animal but I do feel the "larger target smaller reticle" is a valuable thing for my shot placement. I shoot a lot af antelope at long distances. Have taken several over 800 yards. If you have ever shot an antelope you know how hard it is to not ruin a shoulder and still keep from getting in the salad. Just not much room between the shoulder and diaphram. But that nice white corner pattern of hair was put there for a reason. If you center your crsshairs right on the corner, and wait for the goat to be perfectly square to you, all you loose are ribs, and no tossed salad all over your loins and straps. I do not feel this would be as easy at 800 plus with fat cross hairs. Just my personal preferance and it works for me.

Jeff