Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex razor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Vortex razor?

I wouldn't recommend buying any of the 2011 Razor scopes based on the 3 scopes I had in my hands (the three had parallax creep (after setting) and could not have parallax completely reomoved. 2 of the 3 had contaminated interior/glass. Incidentally, the last hand picked one had all 3 problems.

I think Vortex is striving for minimum level Nightforce Competition but they are falling a bit short at the present time. Glass was better then the Nightforce I tested them to but the scopes were not useable with this parallax issue.

Contamination well it can happen to any of them. The last nightforce scope that was sent back for repair came back more contaminated then when I sent it to them. Sad but true. I think most people just aren't looking... they are relying on reputation etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jponto View Post
I have a Razor I am testing now. Inital inspections concluded the parallax could not be set or elminated. Also the mechanism appears to have a rubber drag which causes it to creep.

One interior lense is grossly contaminated and can easily be seen from viewing through the objective in bright sunlight.

Ther was some optical distortion but still need to investigate this.

Day performance okay (Minox) had better resolution. At night (under street light) the razor bet the Minox 5-20 but the Minox is less then half the cost of the razor.

When they send the replacement hopefully it will be perfect and can actually be test fired to see how tracking is. Apparently the Vipors are reportedly sluggish.

Will compare it the Nightforce 5-22x56 (not a real fair comparison due to the objective size) and my favorite Swarovski Z6 - 2.5-15x56 FL HD scope. Second to none so far but we will see how the Premier Ret compares.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex razor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJN View Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you guys for your feed back. I think I will do a side by side compairson at the NRA show this week here in Pittsburgh. I have lined up contacts at Nightforce and Vortex who will be attending the show. Looking to bring one of scopes home this weekend.
The various choices in reticles may help you make up your mind as well.

Here is some good reading for you.

High End Tactical Scopes: East vs West

Vortex Razor - Sniper's Hide Forums

Good Luck!

Scot E.