Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Razor 20-60 or 16-48?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex Razor 20-60 or 16-48?

Take the smaller one. 16-48 is more magnification than you will need in 99% of situations. My spotting scope is 22x and I can spot bullet splash at over a mile with it.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Take the smaller one. 16-48 is more magnification than you will need in 99% of situations. My spotting scope is 22x and I can spot bullet splash at over a mile with it.
Spotting bullet splash is easy and you're right if that's all he wants to do the 65 would be fine. But if identifying animals at range is of importance than that 48 power is almost useless ,at least to me. The 48 power scope may fit his needs well but everyone's needs are a little different to say 48 power will work 99% of the time may be true for you but not another, like myself for example. I understand also that not everyone is going to shoot at elk as far as me and have the same stupid spike only regulation, still I've never been sorry I had more magnification only sorry when I didn't have enough. If the vortex 65 was the same as the Swaro with 60x it would be so much more attractive. With that said if you want a 65mm scope get a Swaro.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroducksx3 View Post
still I've never been sorry I had more magnification only sorry when I didn't have enough.
This^^^^^^^!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Spotting bullet splash is easy and you're right if that's all he wants to do the 65 would be fine. But if identifying animals at range is of importance than that 48 power is almost useless ,at least to me. The 48 power scope may fit his needs well but everyone's needs are a little different to say 48 power will work 99% of the time may be true for you but not another, like myself for example. I understand also that not everyone is going to shoot at elk as far as me and have the same stupid spike only regulation, still I've never been sorry I had more magnification only sorry when I didn't have enough. If the vortex 65 was the same as the Swaro with 60x it would be so much more attractive. With that said if you want a 65mm scope get a Swaro.
I have the 16-48 razor and the magnification is perfect I spot white tail bucks from a couple miles out and can easily decide which ones to put a hunt on and which ones not to go after
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Gold Member

I know everyone only hunts big dear here... I hunt for big bucks during high hunt but regular season comes and I turn into a stone cold killer, if it's legal I shoot it bash me if you want to. This deer pictured I first spotted at somewhere around 2000+ yards. After 5 days of hunting it was the first legal buck I saw. I though he was a 2x2 initially and passed on moving on him at first. The spike elk here was at 409 yards but in heavy cover. The fork was easy to see but it was hard to be sure the other side was slick in that brush. Washington thrown the book at you, we are talking 5000$ fine and some steep charges if you are wrong. Maybe you could have made that crab claw at 2000 or that slick side in the brush with your 48 but I needed every bit of my 75x or those animals would have walked.
Now I'm not saying that this guy or everybody needs all this but some do. So the people saying 48x zoom is all you'll ever need, this just isn't so. You could say 48x is all I'll ever need. If I had a 48x scope my freezer is empty. Just putting my perspective on it. I think I've said my piece at this point so I'll let the pros have the floor.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Vortex Razor 20-60 or 16-48?-image.jpg  

Last edited by pyroducksx3; 08-06-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

Spike at 409, took me 15 minutes to make sure he was legal
Old 08-05-2014, 11:44 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
I know everyone only hunts big dear here... I hunt for big bucks during high hunt but regular season comes and I turn into a stone cold killer, if it's legal I shoot it bash me if you want to. This deer pictured I first spotted at somewhere around 2000+ yards. After 5 days of hunting it was the first legal buck I saw. I though he was a 2x2 initially and passed on moving on him at first. The spike elk here was at 409 yards but in heavy cover. The fork was easy to see but it was hard to be sure the other side was slick in that brush. Washington thrown the book at you, we are talking 5000$ fine and some steep charges if you are wrong. Maybe you could have made that crab claw at 2000 or that slick side in the brush with your 48 but I needed every bit of my 75x or those animals would have walked.
Now I'm not saying that this guy or everybody needs all this but some do. So the people saying 48x zoom is all you'll ever need, this just isn't so. You say 48x is all you'll ever need. If I had a 48x scope my freezer is empty. Just putting my perspective on it. I think I've said my piece at this point so I'll let the pros have the floor.
Yeah thats a down side of washington vs idaho we do not have restrictions on the size of the deer antlers. Thats my advantage of the 48x because I can just see one side and be like yep he is a 4 pt or look at how wide he is and not worry what points he might have. But I agree that it really depends on the person for what they need to get the job done