Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex PST Model Scopes on Big Magnums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Vortex PST Model Scopes on Big Magnums

I just ordered a PST 6-24x50ffp with the mrad to top my savage 110 hs precision 338 lapua. My buddy is putting it all together for me, i just cant wait to get back from Afghanistan so i can get behind her!!!!

If something where to happen to your pst which isnt likely then vortex will fix it or replace it no questions asked.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter02 View Post
Don't tighten them past 15in/lbs and you shouldn't have any issues. If you torque the **** out of your rings you have a potential of crushing the tube, which can lead to the types of failures they were talking about.
Considering most instructions I've ever cared to read have indicated 20 in/lbs, I'd say that I woudn't be too worried about crushing any tubes until you are well past 15 in/lbs.

But scope ring toque values are not on topic what-so-ever.

My dad's lightweight 7mm Rem Mag has had the Viper HS 4-16x44 (similar internals to the PST) on it for a full year now that has seen 100+ rounds without a hiccup. The turrets track well and the zero doesn't wander.

At the shop where I work we sell a whack of Vortex and the only ones I've ever seen come back in (occasionally) where the Crossfires and Diamondbacks. Never seen a Viper come back yet. I'm sure it will happen one day but it's been at least 3 years so far without a hitch.

My next scope will probably be a PST 6-24 FFP of some variety.

Last edited by Talkyn; 09-15-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Ring marks are caiused by the halves not being concentric to each other, cured by lapping. Ah yes, reading instructions concerning prevailing torque values...not something most Americans to an yway.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Gold Member

Having a 100 percent no questions asked warranty / guarantee is a wonderful thing right up until the point when your scope fails. And of course Murphy says its going to fail at the most in opportune time. If I feel a scope may possibly fail fail I will be looking for a different brand such as a Leupold or a Nightforce.

Alan
Old 09-28-2013, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

If I feel a scope may possibly fail fail I will be looking for a different brand such as a Leupold or a Nightforce.

Alan[/QUOTE]

They wouldnt have the warranty they have if their scopes failed. The difference is once your scopes that cost almost double fail then you have to spend more money to get them fixed or replace them.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Griffith View Post
Having a 100 percent no questions asked warranty / guarantee is a wonderful thing right up until the point when your scope fails. And of course Murphy says its going to fail at the most in opportune time. If I feel a scope may possibly fail I will be looking for a different brand such as a Leupold or a Nightforce.
Alan
Agreed. And scopes don't always fail instantly and obviously. They are just as likely to cause of lot of headache, heartache, wasted ammo, or missed animals on their way from not broken to in the process of breaking/coming apart inside. Been there done that with more than one. Not Vortex. Never owned a Vortex. Having a good warranty is better than no warranty, but I've still sold scopes immediately after warranty repair/replacement, rather than suffer through the possibility of having to go through the pains of scope failure a second time around. People that haven't had scopes fail on them are the ones most impressed with a scope replacement warranty.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlewis82nd View Post
They wouldn't have the warranty they have if their scopes failed.
Dream on. Warranted scopes come apart also. And they can be a pain in the azz when they fail slowly over time.