Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex PST Model Scopes on Big Magnums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

Vortex PST Model Scopes on Big Magnums

I been following a thread on another forum about Vortex PST scopes not lasting on rifles with heavy recoil that are braked.

I personally have one a .338 Edge that is braked, so far I have 150 rounds on it and it's still kicking.

Have any of you fellas had a PST take a dump on a larger magnum rifle that is braked?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Gold Member

Re: Vortex PST Model Scopes on Big Magnums

I have two Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW that are not braked and have put well over 200 rounds and still performing great.

I understand your concern but I would not worry about it. If it does become a problem in the future with Vortex's unconditional lifetime warranty and their excellent customer service I'm sure they would replace it.

Remington 700 Sendero SF 7mm STW
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope

Remington 700 LSS .257 Weatherby Magnum
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle Scope
Old 09-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

I mounted a Vortex Crossfire 2 6-16 on my 338 Laupa with a brake to see when it broke. I usually run a Razor on that rifle, but I figured with Vortex's warranty it would interesting to see WHEN it broke. I dont know when It would have broke, but after 150 rds It passed a box test, and I gave up. The PST line is a huge upgrade to the Crossfire2, so I cant imagine these incidents are anything to worry about.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

A non issue IMO. Typical 'sour grapes' from a whiner poster.

99% of all manufacturers/importers will replace a defective optic, thats the industry standard so it's a non-issue.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:53 PM

As long as your rings are torqued down to the right in/lbs you should have no problems
Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Rings, not really... It's Newton's law of motion. "A body in motion tends to stay in motion unless it meets an immovable object".

The mechanism inside any optic has mass and that mass is movable, sitting on the erector mechanism. When the mass is moving during an abrupt recoil and it's not in secure suspension (by that mechanism), it ultimately fails.

It has noting to do with rings, mounts or any exterior physical restraint. It has to do with the quality and integrity of the erector mechanism and to a lesser extent, how the lenses are affixed to the tube itself.

Thats why air gun scopes have a different erector mechanism and are stamped as such. Air guns experience recoil as well but the recoil is opposite of a cartridge or muzzleloading firearm.

Cheap scope, cheap erector mechanism, pending failure from recoil.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:07 PM

Don't tighten them past 15in/lbs and you shouldn't have any issues. If you torque the **** out of your rings you have a potential of crushing the tube, which can lead to the types of failures they were talking about.