Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex PST or Leupold VX-3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Silver Member

Vortex PST or Leupold VX-3

I'm in the market for a high power rifle scope to put on my XP-100R.
I'm looking at the PST and VX-3
Here is the PST I'm looking at:
Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus Illuminated EBR-1 Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA
and here is the Leupold I'm looking at:
Leupold VX-3 Long Range Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6.5-20x 40mm Side Focus Fine Duplex Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

The Leupold has alot more adjustment and options(i.e. different turrets and reticules) but the PST has pretty much all the options I want but I'm not sure about the limited amount of adjustment. Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex PST or Leupold VX-3

how far and what are you planning to shoot?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Silver Member

550 to 1000 is the goal

Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

Between those two, it really is a toss up. Are you hunting in a state where IR aren't allowed? If so, then buy the Leupold.

The Vortex I really like is the FFP Viper. It is more expensive though then the model you want.

You can't go wrong with either scope though in my opinion. Vortex has really come a long way with their scopes in a fast manner. Seems they fixed their problems they had earlier with their vipers. Leupold, well, it is the most tried and true brand I own.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter243 View Post
Here is the PST I'm looking at:
and here is the Leupold I'm looking at:
Between those two it's really no contest. The PST has better reticle, better knobs, matching knobs and reticle, zero stop, illumination, better eye relief, hysteresis free parallax knob, will beat the Leupold optically on the big end while still having a bigger FOV on the low end and is available in FFP, SFP, Mil or MOA all in your price range. That's a mouthful.

On the downside, you might need to wait a week or two depending upon the model you want. And it doesn't have huge amounts of elevation travel--mine has about 53.5 MOA of "up" left after zero on a 20 MOA mount which might not be enough for some applications (though it's more than enough for the ranges you're talking about).
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Between those two it's really no contest. The PST has better reticle, better knobs, matching knobs and reticle, zero stop, illumination, better eye relief, hysteresis free parallax knob, will beat the Leupold optically on the big end while still having a bigger FOV on the low end and is available in FFP, SFP, Mil or MOA all in your price range. That's a mouthful.

On the downside, you might need to wait a week or two depending upon the model you want. And it doesn't have huge amounts of elevation travel--mine has about 53.5 MOA of "up" left after zero on a 20 MOA mount which might not be enough for some applications (though it's more than enough for the ranges you're talking about).
Optically it doesn't beat the Leupold. By the numbers Leupold has better light transmission. But it is just a 40mm. Leupold has the best reticle in the VH and B&C for holdover, but he is comparing the FD, and the Viper blows that out of the water

I agree, the Viper is a better buy, unless you can't use the IR. You are getting a better scope for the money if the IR is something you can use.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapua guy View Post
Optically it doesn't beat the Leupold. By the numbers Leupold has better light transmission.
"By the numbers?" What numbers? Out of a catalog somewhere? I suggest comparing scopes out in the real world--even if the Leupold comes close to matching the PST with them both on 20X (which none I've seen would), when you crank up the PST to 24X it really will be no contest. The 8.5-25X50 Leupold will come closer on the top end, but you had better hope nothing jumps out at close range.
Quote:
Leupold has the best reticle in the VH and B&C for holdover,
Those are nice for holdover but I didn't see where he said he was planning to do that.