Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex opinion DOWNGRADE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Vortex opinion DOWNGRADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The hunt didn't seem important enough to order something as important as a primary aiming device before the last day.
I have to use optics that are at the same price level as the lower Vortex line, why would you not wring it out before going out, like weeks before, I would be suspect of a rifle that got dropped for a turret to gut but then I had a friend that had a Mark4 gut it's self one day!
I also use a target dot scope some times for hunting, guess what they suck, that is why they offer better options for hunting. Some times it's OK but it takes some adjustments to make sure it is as crisp as possible to be usable, dusk, forget about it. That seems more like a optics purchasing issue!
Not all folks have:

1. Loads of time
2. Ton's of money for extra gear or expensive scopes
3. Access to a rifle range
4. Expert knowledge of rifles and equipment
5. lots of chances to take their son hunting

Don't judge folks you don't know.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENWA View Post
Not all folks have:

1. Loads of time
2. Ton's of money for extra gear or expensive scopes
3. Access to a rifle range
4. Expert knowledge of rifles and equipment
5. lots of chances to take their son hunting

Don't judge folks you don't know.
Not trying to bust you butt but dang, I have two out three same problems with optics and in no way would I call it a Co problem!
I where glasses and with the way my eyes are, getting a set of binos that all point right and I can get adjusted correctly is like finding a needle in a hay stack, but some brands seem to work better than others, I've used a pair of Leica's that were just unusable for me but I found a pair of cheap ones that did work.
Target dot's are notorious for being hard to use in hunting or even mild lighting conditions, again not the Co. problem I should have bought one of the other reticules that were a better option.
For all I know your stuff is totally jacked up but can you see my point!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Bronze Member

1. Problem is not that the bino's aren't great, they are not good. AND I've had to return them already.

2. I'm not complaining so much about the reticle but the glass that is mediocre compared to another in the same Viper line.

3. I take the most offense to your claims about my friend. " The hunt didn't seem important enough to order something as important as a primary aiming device before the last day"

For this you are a Jackass. No Offense, but not all people have 10 rifles of various caliber's and capabilities in their safe, ready to go on a moments notice.

Since you don't know that my friend is a construction worker who's down on his luck the last few years that got a big opportunity to take 3 days with his kid and needed some help from a friend.

So please stop your fingers from typing any more assuming B.S.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
1. Problem is not that the bino's aren't great, they are not good. AND I've had to return them already.

2. I'm not complaining so much about the reticle but the glass that is mediocre compared to another in the same Viper line.

3. I take the most offense to your claims about my friend. " The hunt didn't seem important enough to order something as important as a primary aiming device before the last day"

For this you are a Jackass. No Offense, but not all people have 10 rifles of various caliber's and capabilities in their safe, ready to go on a moments notice.

Since you don't know that my friend is a construction worker who's down on his luck the last few years that got a big opportunity to take 3 days with his kid and needed some help from a friend.

So please stop your fingers from typing any more assuming B.S.

Quite right! My bad and I apologize, sincerely!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 PM

DENWA,

First of all, very sorry to hear about your friend having a problem with the Crossfire. That's the kind of thing we all hate to hear about. I know it doesn't help with that particular hunt, but you can rest assured that our service dept. will do everything possible to make it right for you guys when you call this in (800) 426-0048.

You do have to keep in mind that the Crossfires are our entry level series of riflescopes, and are built to fit certain price points. We do feel that we've done a good job of getting as much quality into these as possible for what they retail for. They are by far our biggest selling line of scopes, and I hesitate to even guess how many thousands have been sold. For these numbers, they actually have a very good track record. Of course, along with these kinds of numbers sold, it's usually the Crossfires that get mentioned on these forums when repair issues surface. This same line of thought pertains just a bit to the Vulture binos as well - an entry level line, but very good value for the dollar spent.

Re. your 6.5-20 Viper, all Vipers are using same grades of glass & coatings, so your 6.5-20 has the exact same quality as a 2-7. Now, remember that a 2-7 will many times seem a bit sharper simply due to the lower magnification. Also be sure you're correctly using the ocular and side focuses, this is very commonly misunderstood (for example, guys will try to use the ocular reticle focus as a main image focus). Others here have explained the target dot reticle pretty well - it's not good in low light, but it wasn't intended to be. 99% of the guys buying these scopes are extremely happy with them.

Again, sorry to hear about the problems, but we'll do our very best to make it right for you !

Paul @ Vortex
Old 12-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply. It takes a lot when people are hard on your company.

PM Sent.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. It takes a lot when people are hard on your company.

PM Sent.
I think this really shows what Vortex is all about. As far as I'm concerned...they have great products, great pricing for their intended markets, they back up their products and they have great customer service ( which is getting to be a rare thing any more ).

My hunch is...besides not being able to fix the hunt....all will be corrected with the scope.

Wayne