close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex - Not a Wise CS Business Decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex - Not a Wise CS Business Decision

I purchased a Viper PST FFP MILRAD 6-24x50 from Brian at Shoot-Long.com and his prices are the lowest I have found and he was able to get the scope for me in a few weeks. I have been waiting months for one from Midway and cancelled that order when Brian emailed me he had one coming. I think if you see prices going up, you should probably get your order in ASAP.

I have four Vortex scopes now and I like every one of them. They make a damn good scope at a good price. Give Brian a call or email him at Shoot-Long.com and I bet he can get you what you want at a great price and in a reasonable amout of time.
    Unread 10-05-2016, 12:29 PM
    Gold Member

I just spoke with Larry at Vortex and my scope rubber ring is doing the same thing. Larry told me he has never heard of this problem. So either they have only had a few failures, or they are hiding the truth that the rubber fails, and it becomes loose. Once loose the rubber slips on the power ring and it is VERY hard to get the power to adjust. Larry told me to get some gorilla glue and a tooth pick and glue it back into place. He did offer for me to have it sent in and repaired, but since it is mounted on my muzzle loader, I prefer not to have to re-zero if there is an easy fix. I personally feel the proper fix would be a metal clamp on throw lever but that was not offered as a fix, only glue after cleaned.

As for the scopes, I have many Vortex, but if these little BS failures continue to occur without support from Vortex, my numbers will reduce not grow

Last edited by Sealesniper; 10-05-2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Unread 10-05-2016, 12:55 PM
    Platinum Member

Gorilla glue. That's the solution? Really?

Perhaps Vortex scopes will, in the future, come with a small tube of Gorilla glue included in the packaging materials.
    Unread 10-05-2016, 01:57 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sealesniper View Post
    Larry told me to get some gorilla glue and a tooth pick and glue it back into place, only glue after cleaned.
    WOW!
    Unread 10-05-2016, 03:56 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
    ......I have been trying to think how to make my own device to correct this issue when I happened to go to their site and lo and behold, they have a fix for this magnification power ring issue. First before I state what I have found, it is obvious this was an issue because they came up with a "fix". Unfortunately (and here is where I am a bit miffed). The fix is $79.00!!!..........
    I don't know enough about Vortex to comment there, but scope power ring levers are becoming common.

Brownell's has 2 pages of them, I did see Leupold, Swarovski, and Nightforce listed. All about $80-100.

If they offer to fix it, but you won't send it, clamps, glue, or duct tape might be the do it yourself fixes left?
    Unread 10-05-2016, 07:51 PM

There was a guy on here advertising throw levers at a low price. Don't know if he still has them as it is a old post from years ago. But anyways here is his page. As far as price, have you ever heard of the price of a decent product going down.

https://mkmachining.com/index.php/product/index/1
    vortex viper pst 4-16x50mm/ scope level
    Bell and Carlson stock/bedded
    Unread 10-07-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sealesniper View Post
    I just spoke with Larry at Vortex and my scope rubber ring is doing the same thing. Larry told me he has never heard of this problem. So either they have only had a few failures, or they are hiding the truth that the rubber fails, and it becomes loose. Once loose the rubber slips on the power ring and it is VERY hard to get the power to adjust. Larry told me to get some gorilla glue and a tooth pick and glue it back into place. He did offer for me to have it sent in and repaired, but since it is mounted on my muzzle loader, I prefer not to have to re-zero if there is an easy fix. I personally feel the proper fix would be a metal clamp on throw lever but that was not offered as a fix, only glue after cleaned.

As for the scopes, I have many Vortex, but if these little BS failures continue to occur without support from Vortex, my numbers will reduce not grow
    Vortex touts their customer service as flawless and their warranty to be impeccable. I would get in contact with Sam at Vortex and relay your experience with Larry. I had something similar and their response was above and beyond what I expected.

I do feel that they will try to excuse away their warranty at times. You have to be persistent with them and make them honor their claims.