Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex - Not a Wise CS Business Decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Bronze Member

Vortex - Not a Wise CS Business Decision

Anyone else see this?

I have spoken highly of Vortex for two Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50mm scopes (purchased at different times). I felt they were reasonably priced (at the time) and only two design issues (one a bit subjective).

1. I felt the fine cross hairs were really nice for target but for hunting they might pose a problem on dark targets at the end or beginning of daylight hours.

2. The magnification power ring is a ribbed rubber band and is a pretty big design flaw. It is difficult to turn the magnification ring easily and could be a serious hunt issue if one needs to turn power up or down in any quick time. In the case of one of my scopes, it has become stretched and loose after only one day at the range. (I will repair myself rather then send in for warranty repair).

I have been trying to think how to make my own device to correct this issue when I happened to go to their site and lo and behold, they have a fix for this magnification power ring issue. First before I state what I have found, it is obvious this was an issue because they came up with a "fix". Unfortunately (and here is where I am a bit miffed). The fix is $79.00!!!

Between this unfortunate customer service fix along with their scope prices going up pretty significantly, this has me rethinking Vortex scope purchases or recommending them.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vortex - Not a Wise CS Business Decision

Are you talking about the switch view throw lever? I am not sure this is specifically a fix for the issue you discussed. It may solve the problem but there are many options by many different manufacturers out there for these, some OEM and others aftermarket.

I haven't seen higher prices either. Maybe I am not looking in the right places.

Scot E.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

I noticed the loose rubber band feel to the power ring also one my dad has, not a big issue but they do need to come up with something better.
As for the cross hair it's perfect!!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Bronze Member

Yes I do like the fine crosshairs but I do hunt bear and a closeup shot without illumination with the HS series during dawn or dusk hours in the dark timber could be interesting. Most of my bear shots have been 40 feet (yes adrenalin was pumping) to about 60 yards.

Yes - "about the switch view throw lever". The previous Viper scopes had a extruded bump on the plastic ring.

There have been enough complaints on this "loose rubber band magnification power ring" that they had to come up with this "fix" (that is my guess). I think the the $80.00 cost set me off. Is anyone saying there are some other vendors offering such a device?

The HS scopes have all gone up at minimum of $50.00 in a matter of less than 2 months.

Oh well. I vented. I will go back to my coloring book.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

You may be right about the costs, I just haven't seen it here locally. Most stores, especially online, can't even keep them in stock. That has a tendency to raise prices.

I am sure they will cover it under their very solid warranty. That would save you the $$.

Scot E.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Bronze Member

The prices will continue to go up until after the election. This is nothing new ..... remember what happened in 08.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttt View Post
The prices will continue to go up until after the election. This is nothing new ..... remember what happened in 08.
i think in this case it has more to do with the fact that the scope was extreamly underpriced to begin with, they are just bringing it closer to par.