Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex/nightforce BDC question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Vortex/nightforce BDC question

I am sorry 264 is correct what I should have said is the values are not correct without doing math conversions. These are easy on full power or 1/2 or even 1/4 but if your on say 15 power or 9 etc.. they involve math. It is just one more step. You have to also be mindful of what power your on at all times where as in a FFP you just look through and shoot.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM

The main question I have is what kind of hunting or shooting are you doing with this rifle? The scopes i mentioned i use on my varmint rifles and am usually shooting from a bench a have time to dial. Now my deer and coyote rifles are a different story. I personally don't like the exposed turrets on those as they just seem to be bulky and to easy to accidently bump depending on your type of hunting. I would rather have something like a leupold with a boone and crooket ret or something similar. but its all your call just throwing out some things to think about.

Another good scope is the Zeiss with Rapid-z reticle. Great glass. nightforce would be the top choice if you have the cash, but the others are a close second. buy the best you can afford

happy shooting!!

Mike
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

The primary use for this gun is to use for elk hunting. I hunt off of a horse so I am not too excited about the huge turrets. I have used a redfield the last 3 years and have no complaints. My gunsmith saw it and said if I don't get away from junk scopes the rifle will never do what he is building it to do. If I have to spend good money on a scope I am thinking I want at least 16X and 44mm objective lense as a minimum. I am not excited about dialing a turret in the field. The moa hash marks seem much more useful for me as I can just range my target and compensate in the recticle. I like the vortex viper ffp on paper, but don't want to spend $800 on something that later I find out is not what I should have spent money on. Anyone have an opinion of the viper series scopes?
My main objective is to be sub-moa and confident to take elk at 600yrds. In the last 18 years my average distance for elk taken is 400yards, so another 200 isn't a huge step. Two years ago I took an elk at 520. That being said, once I am confident at 600 I am sure wolves and coyotes out to 750 will be next.
Basically I am open to anything quality (except Nikon) that is not over 50mm objective, 16X or more, and has verticle hashmarks that are first focal plane. Any suggestions?