Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex Long Range Ballistics Calculator & custom turret service

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex Long Range Ballistics Calculator & custom turret service

Hinkraka, You talk about changing lots of powder and having velocity changes. If you don't rework your load to get back to the same velocity, you would have to rework your drop charts, or whatever system you are using, anyway. You would just have your turret built to reflect the average conditions that you would expect. You could always have more than one turret for different conditions/areas.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:07 AM

Autorotate:

I can understand, and second, your view. In the offchance of me staying with one load through the life of the rifle (even considering I might keep a rifle for more than a few years ;)) I might stay with one perfect load. At least as backup load.

But I think I am the kind of person that will go on and try different bullets and powders every year, go with what I feel is adequate at every opportunity. And I guess from how I know myself, I know others.

I am pretty sure I will never get one of these, but for those persons where your descriptions fit, I guess it's perfect ;)
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Now I'm confused. As I understand it a accurate load vibrates the barrel at a certain harmonic at a certain speed. If you change loads you need to get back to that harmonic or node and speed. If the two loads have the same speed what changed in your trajectory unless you changed your BC enough to make a large difference.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:45 AM

Russ Hatch: different powders, different hardness of bullets and so on builds pressure differently, so even different batches of powder (here in Sweden I can only store so much powder) can have different vibrations with the same load recepie.

BUT that doesn't really matter for the turret. Since the turret only cares about V0, and that you are dead center on a certain distance. So even if my two loads exit the barrel at two different places, have they the same speed I can use the same turret (given the same bc of course). It's up to me to line up hits and reticle before that.

So there I don't think the turret has any negatives.

I just don't find it versatile enough. I love being able to zero my scope with one load, have a few markings saying that with another load I use +/- so and so clicks in elevation and windage and I'm true. Then I have two lists of drop and how to compensate for that, and for windage. I want this setup, even though at times it is more work than the BDC-turrets, since I find it more versatile, less work in switching and less being fooled by numbers for another load :P
Old 09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Does anyone know if these are single or double turn turrets? In the picture it looks like single turn. 12 moa does not get very far......
Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkregulator View Post
Does anyone know if these are single or double turn turrets? In the picture it looks like single turn. 12 moa does not get very far......
My scope is a Viper PST FFP MOA 6-24x50mm. I am shooting a 6mm Norma BR. with 105 gr. Berger VLDs with a Brux 1 in 8" twist 26" barrel. I shot my drop chart with a 200 yd. zero then 300 Yds then 400 yds. I gave Vortex the info and a week later I had my custom turret. After I sighted it in at 200 yds I set the custom turret at 2 for 200 yds.

The first revolution on the custom turret goes to 625 yds and the second revolution goes to 900 + yds.

With the Mil scope you get more distance with each revolution.

If I was shooting a much flatter round I would get more distance with a custom turret programmed for that particular round.

I hope I am explaining this correctly,

joseph

Last edited by joseph; 09-08-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Bronze Member

What everyone has stated makes perfect sense. I have acquired a Leupold 3x18 side focus CDS Vx6 scope for my Kimber 8400 .300 WM so I could be more efficient when hunting. When I have got my ballistics down and know my load I'll send the info to Leupold and then I'll receive the turret I need for that load. I can always request a different turret for a new load if needed. Adjusting the turret for the distance I'll be shooting will be fast and easy. It was good to see the results from the Vortex turret and the grouping you got. I'm excited to get my rifle dialed in.