Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vortex HS-T versus PS-T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Silver Member

Vortex HS-T versus PS-T

Contemplating which to buy. I like the HS-t's, great features and the glass is good. But I got a PS-T FFP for a buddy who did me a favor and I quite like it as well. This is for my hunting rifle, a Howa 30-06. For hunting in Nevada we don't do quite as much woods hunting as you folks back East or West do but there's a fair bit of brush busting and mountain climbing so.... which would be better for deer murdering/cute fuzzy animal exploding? The price point obviously pushes the HS-T into a better position, but, the PS-T is just... just so nice. Plus FFP is nice to have in a scope.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Vortex HS-T versus PS-T

I am in a similar position. The two reasons I am leaning against the PST are the illuminated reticle (arguably do not need for legal hunting hours) and the FFP, just not sure I want to go that route. I have used SFP scopes my entire life and am used to either holding over or dialing. The higher magnification FFP's seem to lose a good chunk of the drop points when dialed all the way in.

I may be misremembering but I checked out a PST at my local shop and some of your reticle vanished at 24X. I remember comparing it to Strelok and it was a chunk of elevation.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Gold Member

The HST is a solid option. I have an MOA version on a .308 right now. As far as I can tell comparing them side by side, the HST has the same glass as the PST except the HST has a wire reticle, 44mm objective, SFP only, and lacks illumination. If you watch the sales you can get into an HST for less than $500 pretty easily.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
The HST is a solid option. I have an MOA version on a .308 right now. As far as I can tell comparing them side by side, the HST has the same glass as the PST except the HST has a wire reticle, 44mm objective, SFP only, and lacks illumination. If you watch the sales you can get into an HST for less than $500 pretty easily.
Indeed. I think I'm going to end up going for the HS-T and my brother's going to end up getting the HS-LR for his .300WM. I'd like to start doing 500 and 800 yard serious shooting but I dunno if I want to start reloading heavier bullets either. We'll see.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

I have the HS-T and shoot 800yrds. almost every weekend. Have no complaints whatsoever.