Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Viper vs. SIII ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I normally don't jump in when there's an obvious love-feat like this one going on over two scopes, but I think the OP deserves to be fully informed. I think both scopes would be good choices for long range target shooting or competition. Both companies seem to spec decent quality glass and have good mechanical performance. Vortex scopes certainly offer great features for their price point.

For big game hunting, however, I would recommend looking at scopes with less glare and higher contrast. The Viper PST has below average glare performance for that price point. Contrast is mediocre at low mag and degrades fast above 20X.

There is another post on the forum that links to a youtube video of the same Viper PST scope. The glare and contrast problems are obvious in that video. The Sightron model has even worse glare.

High glare is the primary reason for low contrast. Looking at high contrast, well illuminated targets at a shooting range will not reveal optical contrast problems in a scope. Atmospheric turbulence is also usually high at a shooting ranges, which degrades contrast and resolution to the point that different performing scopes appear to have similar performance.

To assess contrast, you have to look at low contrast targets with bright sky in the background, and under low turbulence conditions. Those conditions are typical of big game hunting.

It seems that neither Vortex nor Sightron does their own optical design, and rely instead on offshore factories for their optical designs. They probably have no equipment for measuring glare, nor any optical engineers capable of using it even if they did.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: Viper vs. SIII ???

bruce_ventura, do you have any suggestions? I'm basically limited to $1k and under right now.

going to try to get my hands on these two scopes, hopefully in the near future, and see what I think looking at them
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
I normally don't jump in when there's an obvious love-feat like this one going on over two scopes, but I think the OP deserves to be fully informed. I think both scopes would be good choices for long range target shooting or competition. Both companies seem to spec decent quality glass and have good mechanical performance. Vortex scopes certainly offer great features for their price point.

For big game hunting, however, I would recommend looking at scopes with less glare and higher contrast. The Viper PST has below average glare performance for that price point. Contrast is mediocre at low mag and degrades fast above 20X.

There is another post on the forum that links to a youtube video of the same Viper PST scope. The glare and contrast problems are obvious in that video. The Sightron model has even worse glare.

High glare is the primary reason for low contrast. Looking at high contrast, well illuminated targets at a shooting range will not reveal optical contrast problems in a scope. Atmospheric turbulence is also usually high at a shooting ranges, which degrades contrast and resolution to the point that different performing scopes appear to have similar performance.

To assess contrast, you have to look at low contrast targets with bright sky in the background, and under low turbulence conditions. Those conditions are typical of big game hunting.

It seems that neither Vortex nor Sightron does their own optical design, and rely instead on offshore factories for their optical designs. They probably have no equipment for measuring glare, nor any optical engineers capable of using it even if they did.
How many of these two brands have you mounted and hunted with? What other optic in this price point would be better with similar options, always looking for a better optic!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Gold Member

I have used a vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 in many different conditions and it performed excellent. That being said I have also owned many zeiss and swarovski scopes so I do have experience with higher end glass. I don't pay attention to a youtube video or some ones camera pictures looking through scope .I go by what it actually doess in my hands and out in the woods....
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Gold Member

how good is the illuminated reticle on the Vortex? My only comparison is the $200 TruGlow I had, and that had a nice halo around the reticle when the illumination was set at max. Wondering if early morning hunts, the Vortex might have an edger due to the illuminated reticle, but with the Sightron having possibly better glass if that is a wash.

leaning toward the Vortex right now, but not totally sure, the extra elevation on the Sighton is a real benefit.

So far it looks like this to me:

Reticle: Vortex
glass: sightron (though not by much from what people are saying)
eindage/elevation adjustment: Sightron
FFP/SFP: I like the FFP on the Vortex a little better
Warranty: tied, both have a Lifetime Warranty
Cost: Sightron (though they are close enough that it is not a major factor)

Am I missing any comparison?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

I have the 8-32X56 S -III with the LRMOA reticle ( check it out ) sitting on a 300RUM and couldn't be happier in all aspects. If you have a friend with an FFL I think you would be into about $750.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Gold Member

So I'm very heavily leaning toward the Viper PST, the reticle looks better to me, and I like FFP, so I don't have to worry about what magnification I am at for holding off for windage.

Here's my thing though, I plan on shooting at 1 or 2 1ooo yard shoots. I have a .308 Win, and plan on using 185 Bergers (assuming they shoot well) I am wondering if the extra 25 MOA of elevation adjustment in the SIII, should play more of a role in my decision....really hard choice