Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Viper vs. SIII ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Gold Member

Viper vs. SIII ???

I was all set to go buy a Nightforce later this year, when my car up and decided it's getting too old. Looking at the possibility of having to replace my car, I came to the conclusion that buying a $2000 scope was not in the cards anymore. Thus began the search for a more modestly priced scope.

so...I have narrowed it down to the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP and the Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMOA, and am at a point where I go back and forth, every other minute, it seems like, on which one I like better.

From my point of view, there is very little difference in quality, and they both have features the other one doesn't.

This scope will be on my semi custom Savage .308. I use this rifle for hunting, and have also begun doing F-Class shooting, as practice for hunting, but also, because it is fun.

I was wondering if I could get input on how these two scopes stack up against each other. I really like both, so now I need to hear about what other people's experiences have been.

Thanks

Erik
Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

Re: Viper vs. SIII ???

Both aregoodscopes and you won't go wrong either way... But I like my s3 more than I liked my viper. Simply has better glass. The turrets on the s3 turn a little easy. For hunting I would go with the viper just because of the turrets. If you want better glass the s3 isno brainier in my opinion. I would put the s3 glass just below nf and above leupold vx-3. Viper I would put one step below vx-3 glass. Get a hold of Brian at shoot-long if your thinking of the s3. He has great prices and service.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Comes down to if you feel you need FFP or zero stop. If you do then the PST is your scope. Otherwise I would probably go with the SIII. Also which reticle do you prefer?

Last edited by webs; 10-09-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Oh p.s. I made zero stop for my s3 very similar to the vortex style. Works great
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

I mostly run night force, but tried an SIII to save weight on a long range carry rifle. It's been great. I made a zero stop by cutting a ring of PVC fitting. I tried a couple mid grade vortex, including pst, and didn't like them. I do like razor. The vortex didn't seem to track. Optics not as good. SIII may not be NF, but very good in my limited experience. A good substitute.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

Set up my buddies rifle with a SIII 6-24x50 LRMOA and I have a LR version of the PST and my dad has a PST. The SIII takes the glass by a very slight margin and the reticle is nice with the dot, turrets are accurate and serviceable. I've thought about making a zero stop for the SIII but I'm worried about stripping out the turret since it's not made for that kind of function. I really, really like zero stops!! The PST's count windage up in both directions which I find almost essential and the SIII does not. The SIII has much more elevation available which is why I put it on my buddies rifle since it is made for shooting out a mile + and elevation was the deciding factor. Testing both optics, all of them I've tested have tested within a few thousandths of MOA tracking, so both track basically nuts on!! In you specific case I would choose the SIII for the single reason that it is second focal plain other wise I would go the PST SFP with a 20 MOA rail for hunting.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webs View Post
Comes down to if you feel you need FFP or zero stop. If you do then the PST is your scope. Otherwise I would probably go with the SIII. Also which reticle do you prefer?
the reticle was something of a toss up, though maybe a slight edge to the Viper. I liked the FFP on the Vortex, but I really like having 100 MOA of adjustment in the SIII, though the 75 in the Viper isn't bad and, with the 20 MOA rail I already have, it shouldn't be that big a deal.

for some reference, I'm currently running a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40. I LOVE the glass, but the objective is smaller than I want, and the 60 Minutes of elevation are limited enough to worry me when it comes time to try a 1000 yard competition. Hence my upgrading, though I'll rarely be even competing beyond 600

Thanks for the information so far...it gets a little nerve wracking when the scopes are so close in quality (from what I've seen)

Both say they have a lifetime warranty, how does their warranty service stack up against each other?