Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Vectronix Terrapin arrived today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Vectronix Terrapin arrived today!

Shumba , that is impressively small . I bet that Leica and others will back engineer and soon be using whatever Laser Diode ,etc . is in that Unit . Tricstr ....forget the Signs ....what is the Range out to that real life horse or cow just to the upper left of the 65 Sign ?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

SWFA is giving me 400 on trade-in allowance for my Newcon RF, so it's gone and i'm just gonna bite the bullet and get one of these things. couldn't get a reading on a nice buck this year around 900. it cost me the buck.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member

I measured my old Lieca 1200,sq. and it was 4x4 1/8x 1 1/2'', so that unit is quite compact, the mil reticule would be some what helpful for spotting, mil scope,which I use
Old 01-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Bronze Member

So is this the PLRF05 that you guys are getting? I have to know one thing for certain before I send the money; does read distance line of sight or does it have an inclinometer build in and can it do the math and give me the adjusted distance? I figured now that some of you have your hands on them, I would be able to find out for sure.

I asked the question a while ago on the Hide and nobody seemed to know for sure. I need to know before I pull the trigger. I know the PLRF10 and up models do, but I have three kids in college....can't justify those models at all!

Thanks and good shooting to you!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

I emailed Alina Hussey ahussey@prgusa.net of Vectronix with just that question. The PLRF05 does not have an inclinometer so the reading you get is simple line of sight distance. For all the power this unit possesses, I have decided to go with the G7 BR2 Unit. I have been reading every review I can find on it, have spoken with Arron Davidson and a couple of other guys using them, and everyone tells me it can range a rock the size of a 50 gallon drum, or a deer, out to 1200 yards in direct sunlight. That capability, coupled with the ballistic calculations has convinced me to try that one.
I really like the range the Vetronix unit is getting, but packing around a weather station and PDA for calculations is too much equipment and time involved putting the shot together. I want to simplify!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleRocker View Post
So is this the PLRF05 that you guys are getting? I have to know one thing for certain before I send the money; does read distance line of sight or does it have an inclinometer build in and can it do the math and give me the adjusted distance? I figured now that some of you have your hands on them, I would be able to find out for sure.

I asked the question a while ago on the Hide and nobody seemed to know for sure. I need to know before I pull the trigger. I know the PLRF10 and up models do, but I have three kids in college....can't justify those models at all!

Thanks and good shooting to you!
I have been using the PLRF10 for quite some time now. I always use it in line of sight mode. I have never changed it for an angle shot. As distances increase, angle of shot decreases making the corrections minimal. For the shorter high angle shots I simply use either the AIC on the scope ring of my rifle or the "shoot angle" feature in the "shooter" program and aim my phone at the target. It is then automatically inputted into the shooting solution. The shooter program is a real value at $10 and has greatly helped with increasing my affective range.

If you feel you will be doing any extended long range shooting I would choose the Vectronix plrf05 for its ranging capabilities, if you are only hunting and not going past 1000 yards very often then the G7BR2 might be a more appealing choice. I hope to be field testig a G7 soon. I need to do some of my own testing for my own satisfaction.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

The Vectronix looks like a really great unit. I want to be able to shoot to 1200, so am thinking the G7 should do the job. I have an ACI, but honestly don't have enough experience with it to guage it's accuracy. I want to shoot rock chucks out there, so need solutions that are whistle pig accurate, not just elk accurate.