Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

vectronix rangefinder Terrapin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: vectronix rangefinder Terrapin

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
Nope!

Good guess, but not correct... This interstate also runs East and West. Here's a better picture I took that day.
78 only has mountains on the north side... maybe 81 or 84?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks and its rigmaster. But in my house with kids ringmaster is a about a reality
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
78 only has mountains on the north side... maybe 81 or 84?
Sounds like you're pretty familiar with the grid in PA.

This is a shot, no pun intended, over RT322.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Owning both a recently purchased Terrapin and owning a G7 BR2 for a full season, I have had an opportunity to work with both. I also have a Leica Geovid, but it's no comparison to either unit. The narrow beam divergence on the Terrapin is very noticeable, and the ability to get readings at distances on difficult targets, excellent. I've never used a rangefinder as good as this one. Having said that, for 1000 yards or less, there have been very few cases where I had difficulty getting a reading with the G7, and could with the Terrapin. They appeared to be low probability shots anyway. For my typical hunting at 1000 yards or less, I believe I'm better served with the capacities of the G7, taking advantage of instant dopes that are corrected for conditions with excellent accuracy and time savings. For longer range work, the Terrapin's capabilities make it a better choice. I'll use the G7 with my 6.5x284, and the Terrapin with my 338 Lapua when I'm shooting at extended ranges, and feel confident of having the best set up for each application. If I could only choose one, tough call but I'd probably go with the G7 since most all my high probability hunting shots are under 1000 yards. If the Terrapin had the computing capabilities of the G7 it would be a masterpiece, but likely cost a fortune! IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Should be interesting to see if Leica's new ballistic range finders are on par with the G-7.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
Sounds like you're pretty familiar with the grid in PA.

This is a shot, no pun intended, over RT322.
Yup, origianlly a PA boy. Family is from near Bethlehem, Center Valley. Went to college South of Pittsburgh, so drove the 78 - Turnpike route across state many times during those years. Is 322 an interstate? My sister lives down in that country. New Holland. She married a Chapin.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Academy View Post
Should be interesting to see if Leica's new ballistic range finders are on par with the G-7.
Is Leica coming out with a new RF?

~ John Quincy Adams