Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

vectronix rangefinder Terrapin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

Re: vectronix rangefinder Terrapin

They already have angle comp in thier higher end models right? They can't move all the features from the "expensive" one to the "CHEAP" ones. It pains me a little to call the 2 kilobuck model a cheap one!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Mine works fine also if it has a big object to reflect off of like a big tree or rock etc.......but in the sage brush around McFadden Wyoming it sucks. My guide had a pair of Swarovski Binocular Range Finders that worked alot better
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Bronze Member

Boy, that's surprising. The beam on the Swaro is much larger than the Terrapin. I will doing some testing over the next week or so and I will post my results.
J
'
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Cunningham View Post
Boy, that's surprising. The beam on the Swaro is much larger than the Terrapin. I will doing some testing over the next week or so and I will post my results.
J
'

I am also surprised and suspect better results could be had with a solid rest. The smaller beamed unit require it and will indeed range what you are intending to range. The larger beam unit will give you the blanket effect and who knows what they are truly ranging. Doug try getting her on a solid rest and see if it helps.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Bronze Member

Here was what I did today. I was on level ground. The sky was overcast and the time was mid-day. I saw some does on snow covered ground. Behind the does was a treeline. The treeline was 1300+. I could easily range the does at 600+ . I could go from doe to doe and get the same readings. I am sure this rangefinder has limitations but it sure worked today.
Later on mountain ground I could easily hit 2400+. I hit targets that I had formerly could not hit with my Swaro. I just wanted to share my experiences. I am certainly not selling rangefinders. So far, I have been happy. By the way, the beam is much smaller than the Swaro. I could thread it through small gaps between distant trees. Good luck to all.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info, im going to order a Tri pod for it today........ but thats the only trouble I had was when i was in Wyoming trying to range Prong Horns
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I am also surprised and suspect better results could be had with a solid rest. The smaller beamed unit require it and will indeed range what you are intending to range. The larger beam unit will give you the blanket effect and who knows what they are truly ranging. Doug try getting her on a solid rest and see if it helps.

Jeff
I had my Terrapin on a Manfrotto tripod with a Manfrotto pistol grip and was achieving ranges of 4700 yards. Ideal conditions just at dusk. Took a hasty pic when I hit 3801 yards, but forgot to take one at 4700. The key is the solid rest like Broz suggests...
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
vectronix rangefinder Terrapin-terrapin.jpg  

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"