Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Values of hash marks for MP8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

I agree a guy should check to se at what power the reticle is calibrated at and yes it is a little different with all three 6-24s I have. Trying to figure out what power they where calibrated at is what led me to find the MOA thing.What I do is turn the power all the way up and dial it down till the hashes line up with the inch marks on the yardstick. I actualy set it so that 10.5" is the distance it takes 10 hash marks to cover and 21" for 20 hashes to get as close to MOA as posible? I found it is more acurate to turn all the way up and dial down to the new MOA calibration marks I put on the power adjuster.
I dont pay any more atention to the power # than I do the range # on the side knob,near as I can tell they where just guessing and not very good at it! What matters is the power dial is turn to the calibration lines I put on it!
18x + or - has ben working very well for shooting prairie dogs as mirage is ususaly too bad to use much more power than that anyway.
I can see why someone who knows Mills would like them and I have to use them in the fixed 16Xs but MOA just works so much easier for me.
As for helping with the reasoning I cant help...Note my signiture line,heck I'm just a reTIRED dairy farmer that welds mineing boxes for a liveing.
If it works I run with,if it doesnt I mess with it till its FUBAR

Last edited by MachV; 08-16-2007 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Had to put the + or - thing in, it aint exact!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

1) 1m at 1000m is EXACTLY 1/1000 of the radial distance or 1 mili-radian.

2) On an SFP scope the reticle/image relationship quoted is only valid at one power setting - calibrating distances at other mag settings is JUST maths.

On IOR scopes this "true" value differs scope to scope. It's marked on the zoom ring with a circle around the number. IIRC the new 4-28 for example is "true" at 14.

3) Buy FFP! ;-)
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff In TX View Post
Are you saying that at 18X the value between hash marks is 1.047 inches? In my head (ok a scratch piece of paper) I come up with roughly 1.58" at 18X or 1.51" at 17.5X. Now 14.2X would get you close to 1.047", if I'm following the logic here.
Jeff, the reticle is Mil calibrated at 10X. So at 18X each Mil marking would = 3.6" * 10 / 18 = 2.0" at 100 yds. Of course it also has 1/2 Mil hash marks which should be right around 1" at 100 yds. Plenty close enough for small holdovers/windage, etc.

If you want to be more accurate, true MOA should occur somewhere between 17X and 18X and the only way to get that exact is to calibrate like MachV explained and mark it.

Anyway, that should work nicely with that scope's MOA knobs. Though I agree with Chris--make it FFP with Mil knobs for me! ;)
Old 08-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Silver Member

Oops....

Don't know why I did it - maybe the metres that caught me.... I did the maths on MOA and wondered what they were thinking. You are of course all correct.

I stick little luminous dots on a target at the right intervals at home and then check it out on the range. That's how I confirm.

Most IOR's mil at 10X.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

I'm following ya'll now. Sorry I've never been an moa guy except for measuring groups. I taught mils and it's simple enough now I can do it in my sleep.

Plus in the Texas heat, best of luck doing any shooting beyond 500 yards with more than 14X power with the mirage. Actually 10X is about the best we can work with 1000 yards and 100+ degree heat.

Good luck guys and thanks for making me see your light.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Silver Member

Speaking of ranging---

is there a list of typical animal heights for elk, Deer, Bear, coyote and antelope??

Many thanks, Overbore
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbore View Post
is there a list of typical animal heights for elk, Deer, Bear, coyote and antelope??

Many thanks, Overbore
I have looked for this as well and have come up short. As I recall White tail and Mule deer are 18" from the top of the back to the bottom of the chest. I hunt black tail which are smaller and everytime I have shot one lately I mean to take some measurements but forget to do it. It would be great if there was a chart of measurements like they have for the human body in the sniper manuals.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown