Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Values of hash marks for MP8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 AM
Silver Member

Values of hash marks for MP8

IOR's manual says 1m at 1000m for both MP8 and mil dot. That's neither MOA or true mils last I did the maths. Does anyone know what the values are. I'll check it out at the range on the weekend, but am itchingto know in the meanwhile!

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Silver Member

LRHWAL,

The MP-8 reticle and mildot are the same except one uses hash marks the other uses footballs or round dots.

I mil = 3.6" @ 100 yards or 36" (1 yard) @ 1000 yards.

The nice feature with the MP-8 reticle is smaller hash marks at .5 mil.

I was trained on mil-dots but like the hash marks better for ranging.

If you want the formula for ranging with mil-dots shoot me an email or PM.

Best of luck

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Jeffs right the IOR MP-8 is set up to be ½ mills at a cirtain setting...usualy 10x. Depending on the variable power and focal plain it could be MOA. If you can get to 18x?
Take a yard stick to the range with ya and make sure it calibrates right and at what power.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Jeffs right the IOR MP-8 is set up to be ½ mills at a cirtain setting...usualy 10x. Depending on the variable power and focal plain it could be MOA. If you can get to 18x?
Take a yard stick to the range with ya and make sure it calibrates right and at what power.
Sorry, this is not meant as a slam or to flame you but what is your statement getting at! Splain Lucy! You can't change from Mils to MOA because of the focal plane or power setting. Your reticle is calibrated for one or the other.

Mils are Mils and Moa is Moa, they are totally different measurements, they aren't interchangeable and they don't change. 1 mil @ 100 yards is 3.6” and 1 MOA @ 100 yards is 1.047”. I don’t see any logic in your statement.

If you want to measure the accuracy of your mil-dots, make a cross on a target or a sheet of the paper that is exactly 3.6" from the center of the cross to the end of each vertical and horizontal mark. Put the target at exactly 100 yards and verify the accuracy of your mil-dots or hash marks. If your reticle is in the second focal plane, turn your power ring until the first mil-dots cover all four marks. Mark your power ring so in the future you'll know where to turn it to for ranging.

If your reticle is in the first focal plane, then verify the accuracy of the mil-dots or hash marks at all power ranges.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

It would be a great trick with a front focal plane, a fixed 16x or a scope that does not go to 18x. It is however posible and actualy quite easy to go from Mills to MOA with a 3-18,6-24 or 9-32 GenII mildot like the IOR MP-8. I have not tryed it yet but I'll bet the 9-36 set at 36 would actualy be ½ MOA hashes?
I stumbled onto this neat little trick by acident as I sure aint smart enought to figure it out otherwise. There are those that can do the math and confirm it though

Mark off 100 yards exactly,put a yardstick at one end and your second focal plane IOR scope with MP=8 reticle set at 18x at the other end.Now look through the dang thing and tell me how many inches it is between the hash marks :eek:
Get back to me with what you find out I'll give you a hint it aint 3.6!

Last edited by MachV; 08-16-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Cause I can
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

A while back I used Exbal to figure this out. The MP-8 Reticle is Mils at 10 power and MOA just under 18 power. I printed a grid pattern up at 1 inch squares and a grid pattern up at 3.6 inches but have not had a chance to take it out to the range to check it yet. But exbal says it should be something like 17.5 or 17.75 power for the MP-8 reticle to be equivalent to MOA.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Mark off 100 yards exactly,put a yardstick at one end and your second focal plane IOR scope with MP=8 reticle set at 18x at the other end.Now look through the dang thing and tell me how many inches it is between the hash marks :eek:
Get back to me with what you find out I'll give you a hint it aint 3.6!
I'll agree with you that a second focal plane scope set at 18X isn't going to be 3.6" at 100 yards. More than likely that scope was calibrated for using the mil-dot reticle for ranging a given power setting such as 10X or some other value. That's why it's important to verify what the real power setting is if you're gonna use it for ranging. The factory mark on your power ring is one thing, but I've seen too many scopes where the factory marked setting was off. Any new scope we were given was always verified and more times than not we had to re-marked it. That's why for the longest time I was a fan of a 10X fixed power scope. Even to 1000 yards we didn't need more than that.

Are you saying that at 18X the value between hash marks is 1.047 inches? In my head (ok a scratch piece of paper) I come up with roughly 1.58" at 18X or 1.51" at 17.5X. Now 14.2X would get you close to 1.047", if I'm following the logic here.

Again trying not to flame you, just trying to understand the reasoning.

Last edited by Jeff In TX; 08-16-2007 at 10:58 PM.