Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

uso or nf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2003, 06:35 PM

Re: uso or nf

I have 4 NXS's ( 3--3.5-15x50's and 1--5.5-22x56)and couldn't be happier with them. I have to confess that I have never even looked thru a USO, and don't really want to. They have a bad rep for customer service and the company is run at the whim of one old man--not something I want to be a part of... My NXS's work fine--Just MY Opinion... CJ

[ 12-06-2003: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]
Old 12-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Gold Member

Blaine,
Your right about the turret thing, I just figured "a line" was a quick explanation to simply show that a high price does not mean
high quality.
As far as problems with the variables I don't have any first hand knowledge, I am going off of what George (GA Precision) and Marty (Badger Ord.) has told me. If you call me at the shop I will ask them and get you specifics.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Bronze Member

John M,
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Can anyone give me specific reasons why a USO is better than the nightforce? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't own a NF, although I've heard good things about them. At a long range course I had a guy next to me who was using a NF come over to look through my USO 10X
and he told me that my image was clearer than his. What does that mean? I don't have a clue. I can only tell you that I am very happy with my scopes, they work well,
I can see well. I wouldn't trade them.

But I do have a more specific answer to your question. When I was looking around for scopes, I had a single choice for my particular requirements. I wanted a turret
that would get out to 40 or so MOA in a single turn. The only scopes out there that I could find could do this only by using 1 MOA clicks. I wanted something a
little finer. Then USO came out with its 45 MOA per revolution/0.5 MOA per click. That turret met my specifications; no other manufacturer made one that did. And
actually I still don't think anyone else is making that particular turret. I use this turret on a .308 Win. and a 300 WSM and the turret matches perfectly with the
supersonic range of each rifle - so I am able to use up all of the elevation I need, and none is wasted. It is a good turret.

That's why I say that it depends upon your requirements, taste and budget as to which scope is the best for you.

And besides, I don't think they're ugly.

[Image removed because it just messed up the entire thread.]

[ 12-09-2003: Message edited by: Blaine Fields ]
Old 12-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Silver Member

That is not what I think, like I said the best one is the one you think is the best.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:01 AM
Bronze Member

Being "the best" and being "the best for you" are two entirely different concepts. If you think that the best of anything is the one you think is the best, you have just done away with any concept of quality.

Objectively, the quality of products can be measured. For instance, in scopes we can test the ability to resolve distant objects with the USAF resolution target; we can measure the amount of light that is absorbed, reflected or transmitted by each lens; we can measure the durability of the turret springs and gears and how consistent and repeatable the adjustments are. These are all objective criteria I can say that if you have a scope that produces fuzzy, dark images and is built with plastic gears, it is not as high a quality of scope that has hardened metal gears, and good glass with superior coatings. And just because you think that your $29.95 made in China bargain is great doesn't make it so. However, if all you are going to do is mount it on a B-B gun, well maybe it's good enough. And for your purpose, you wouldn't need and couldn't use a $2500 Schmidt & Bender.

The application pretty much dictates the requirments.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:06 AM

Blaine, I agree with your point. I have a Vari-X II on my deer shotgun (Much of NY is shougun only) and a Nikon Monarch on my Muzzleloader. (Which I might add I purchased on this site from Nate Haler, saved $100 and Nate is a great guy!) That is what I needed for those weapons without overkill.

My 7mm STW is a custom rig build on a Rem Action...It wears a Leupold M1 3.5x10.
My 338 Lapua (almost ready!) was built on a Prairie Gun Works M18 action. Both have Mcmillian Stocks, STW has a Kreiger and Lapua a Lilja. The Lapua is getting Jewell Trigger. I want the best optics I can get for my Lapua since every inch of that weapon is custom. I think many scopes qualify for that, I'm going with NF because of Reticle choice (NP-R2), optical quality, ample MOA adjustment, and production quality.

All this for under $1200.

How does the quality of the USO, even the turret adjustment you wanted, justify the Extra $$$?

I still don't see it!
Old 12-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Bronze Member

Gents,
I have had the opportunity to own or use quality glass from all of the major makers, U.S. and foreign. For all of you guys wondering why USO scopes cost what they do, and if they are worth it, here goes:

Think of the USO scopes as a custom made product - because that is what they truly are. You can choose tube sizes (30mm and up), objective sizes, reticle, etc. etc. on their scopes. With USO you can purchase a scope made specifically for your mission/operational requirements. With the exception of the ST-10, you are buying a custom product made to your specs. You are not/not buying a mass produced scope like everything else on the market. I am not flaming mass produced scopes - S&B, Zeiss, et al make great glass, and most users can find a mass produced scope that satisfies their needs. However, if you want or need something different, USO is the way to go.

For true long range applications, you will not find a better product - their scopes have hi-res or super hi-res lenses that are better than S&B/Zeiss/NF glass, far more elevation available (particularly in larger than 30mm tubes - or go with the SN-9 external adjustment for 300 MOAs)...and their scopes truly are tough as nails.

I am amazed by how many folks complain that it takes months to get a USO scope, yet have no problems waiting a few months for a McMillan stock if purchased directly from McMillan. Custom gun afficionados will wait years for a top-name gunsmith to build them a custom made blaster...yet bitch that it took a year to get a custom made scope. These guys pay Mark Morris or Larry Vickers $6K to build a 1911 style .45, and then scoff at a scope for $2500 - $3500. That optical device is built to far closer tolerances than any pistol or rifle action could ever hope to be.

If you balk at the price of USO stuff, then your operational needs dictate that you don't need one, and your money is best served in the high quality mass production marketplace. If mass produced items aren't satisfying your needs, then USO is where you need to go. Of course, high end mass production items (i.e. the latest generation S&B scopes) are now in the same pricing ballpark as custom USO offerings, which may make your purchasing decision a bit more difficult. If in doubt, I would prefer to dictate the specs I want, rather than let the mass production factory decide what I need.

I made the switch to USO when I needed true long range optics. Would I put them on every rifle I own? Yes, if I could afford it, but a .223 or .308 really doesn't need a USO scope, of course with the deal they are offering at sniper's hide, I'll probably put them on my smaller guns :-) .50BMG, .338 LM, .408 CT's all sport USO glass and I couldn't be happier with their performance - they are suerior to everything else in the marketplace for long range shooting.

Regarding customer service, lawsuits, etc. etc. I really don't give a **** as long as the product works and the company stands behind their warranty. I have had nothing but excellent customer service from USO, and they have been very timely in answering my calls, e-mails, etc. They have made significant improvements in this area in the past few years. The biggest problem I ever had with them was getting a catalog delivered when I wanted to purchase my first scope. They have since put it online, so its a moot point. Their current deal over at SH is excellent, and is a far better product than S&B's and Leupold's in that price range.

One closing thought...how many second hand S&B's, Leupold's, NXS's etc can you find on the net? Compare that number to second-hand USO scopes - there are few to be found, and the resale value is quite high. I am no economist, but I interpret this as meaning most USO customers are happy with their scopes and are holding on to them - I certainly am. :-)

I am not a USO employee, or hold any financial interst in them, I am just a guy who has used their producuts, as well as those of their competitors.

SCL