Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

USO new long range hunting scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: USO new long range hunting scope

Camshaft, if I am not mistaken they are talking about the eyepiece rotating when
changing power.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

I see. My mistake.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Camshaft, if I am not mistaken they are talking about the eyepiece rotating when changing power.
What does that hurt? Even at 66 I have enough focus accomidation in my eyes that once the focus is set I don't need to change it for months. Only the parallax setting is critical and frequent.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 08-26-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
What does that hurt? Even at 66 I have enough focus accomidation in my eyes that once the focus is set I don't need to change it for months. Only the parallax setting is critical and frequent.
If you use flip up scope caps i can see this being a pain in the ass.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, I'll expand on my mean'n.
First Camshaft, what the heck does 6-24 matter over 8.5-25? I see this as insignificant.

W/resp to the eyepiece differences I was talking about, there are a couple that are significant.
#1 The eypiece on an NXS turns with POWER changes.
#2 The focus setting of the NXS eyepiece to it's reticle can greatly affect it's magnification.

I don't prefer to EVER clean lenses myself. Never had any luck doing this without damaging the lens surface or coatings a little each time. I find that flip-up covers which are kept in place and only opened while in the shooting position, have reduced my lens cleaning needs to near never.
I mentioned earlier the importance(to me) of threading for Alumina flip-up covers/filters. These covers are way nicer than Butlers. If you ever used them you'd agree, I'm sure.
Leupold one-up'd everyone there.
But anyway, while flip-ups are used, a rotating eyepiece with power changes becomes a real pain. This is espescially true with fitted Butlers as they can't really counter rotate to hold position as an eypiece turns, and then the cover interferes with bolt operation, view of ACI or Level, or even the power change itself(as hanging up on the stock).
The Mk4 eyepiece does not rotate with power changes, and the Alumina flip-ups freely allow counter rotation, while installed, in any event.

I wear glasses. For a solid reticle focus on a Mk4, my eyepiece setting is pretty normal at about half the available adjustment. But on NXS scopes I always have to turn the eyepiece all the way in. This on atleast the 5.5-22, and 8-32 scopes. I notice also that when going back and forth between [MY] NXS at 32x, and [MY] Mk4 at 25x they are EXACTLY the same magnification.
So I don't actually get 32x with an NXS.
I don't know why this is, but it's there for you to test for yourself.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

My .02----must be FFP, like a little shorter 30 mm tube (I know why they are long), power 5-25, keep robust build weight means nothing to me, at least option for MOA reticle, overall a lower and gentler look--less angular or "tactical”. I had the first "low profile" SN3 btw used existing turrets and the tested in the box to .17 MOA (ask Arnold he has 2 sets left for me).

Above all objective to be no larger than what is already offered.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

Mike I totally agree with you. I always check the diopter range on a scope before I buy.
If you are wearing 1.75's or 2.25 glasses a diopter adjustment that goes from -2. to +1.5
isn't going to cut it. Scope makers that hide that kind of info are doing themselves a real
diservice. Just like makers not listing total moa of adjustment could get away with it a
few years ago diopter ranges are going to have to be published. USO will custom set it
for you. One more reason I like them. ( and as you have noticed it changes the image size)