Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

USO new long range hunting scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: USO new long range hunting scope

Including an ACI/ADI, already trued with the reticle would be nice. Good luck with the project and thanks for taking input!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

The mark4 isnt a bad starting point, great scope, but seriously, 3x magnification range? I know you are not suggesting that specific attribute, that has always been a gripe of mine when it comes to the Mk4, Leupold needs to get with the program.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft View Post
The mark4 isnt a bad starting point, great scope, but seriously, 3x magnification range? I know you are not suggesting that specific attribute, that has always been a gripe of mine when it comes to the Mk4, Leupold needs to get with the program.
What mark4 riflescope are you talking about. There are several models. When I think of long range and Mark 4 Ithink of the Mark 4 M1 16X40. It's got 140 MOA of vertical adjustment, side parallax, and only weights 22.5 oz. It's my favorite for a "conventional" long range scope with target knobs.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

In Mk4, I use 8.5x25 power & have never needed more, or less, for hunting.
In NXS, I use 8x32 power and this is fine.
But NXS does not first match the Mk4 in every regard.
I have to go to 32x in NXS to get the same 25x in a MK4 by the time I get a reticle focus..
An NXS is also a pound wasted over the Mk4, it mounts too high, and the turning eyepiece would be a serious annoyance in the field.
So I don't hunt with NXS scopes, and mention it only as an example of issues often overlooked.

Sorry Camshaft..
I am unable to see only what I want, while disregarding what I don't.
It's just not in my nature.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Guy's,

Thanks for all the input. I really believe that we came to the right place for this thread. I will keep gathering data from your input and we will definitely let you know what we come up with.

For you guys that prefer SFP why do you prefer it over FFP?

General consensus so far is that you guys want something in the higher magnification range.

Also as far as weight we will try to trim as much weight as possible but anything we produce it will withhold USO standards.

Please keep the comments coming. All of your comments are valuable for us to come up with the perfect scope for your needs.

Jason
Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member

I gain nothing needed in FFP, and with SFP I gain a finer reticle subtension.
I laser range, dial in my elevation, and hold off for wind in inches, so a simple correctly sized crosshair is perfect.
This is a long range hunting/shooting site, and with this I have yet to see where higher magnifications are a problem. Even with Mk4s, which are nothing special in glass, I could take deer at plenty good ranges beyond legal hunting hours, at full 25x.
2yrs ago I took a woodchuck with a headshot at 510yds, 10mins after sunset, at 25x.
Now brightness aside(good enough), a woodchuck head popping above the grassline now & then is pretty small. I need to be able to see this beyond the reticle -to shoot it.
The FFP hunting scopes I've looked through so far were bright with better glass, but the reticle subtensions were not even suitable for deer at distance, much less varmints.
These scopes also did not have the adjustment resolutions needed for any real precision(small killzones) at distance.

Keep in mind that hunters stalk. We actually carry our guns in the field.
We don't drive Humvees over them and expect any good from it.
Think practical, rather than tactical.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Gold Member

The Mk4 and the NXS have the same exact style of focusing eyepeice with a lockring, so I dont understand that comment. Im not saying the mk4 is a bad scope, I just think leupold needs to update to 4 or 5x zoom. I like to have as low end as possible while keeping 24+ on the topend. Thats why I use a 6-24 sightron sIII. I also dislike the mk4's high profile m1 knobs, but the new NXS knobs are just as tall. Im not realy set on any particular style of focusing eyepeice as I set mine for my eyes, then smash a butler creek cap on and forget about it.