Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

USO new long range hunting scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 AM

USO new long range hunting scope

Hello memebers,

I am Jason from U.S. Optics. Iím new to this particular forum, so here is a little introduction about myself. I served in the Marines for 12 years as an Infantryman and currently I am the V.P. of Operations here at U.S. Optics.

What we are trying to do here is come up with the ultimate long range hunting rifle scope. This is where your expertise comes in. With you being the end user your input is extremly important to us. So to get things rolling I have a few questions to start.

What power range?
Adjustable parallax on the side or objective?
Weight and how important is this?
What type of reticle? One of our exsiting ones or we can design a new reticle with your help.
MOA or MIL?
Illumination?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Kyle
jason.kyle@usoptics.com
Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Re: USO new long range hunting scope

Welcome Jason. I've had a couple of your scopes for years. Great product and a fantastic
company to deal with. I have never seen better when it comes to CS.
I am not the shooter a lot of these guys are, but I will give my 2cents. The 3.8x22
with a 60 objective and 35mm tube is my best scope. I like iphy over mildot personally
but can use either. I have little use for true moa. The sn9 with it's 235 moa of vertical
would be ideal for target but as a carry gun I don't think so. A 40mm tube might be
a way to gain even more adjustment without making the scope larger. The 1.8x10 -44 sn3 I have is no different to me than any other of my carry scopes on my back.
Bottom line for hunting up here. A shot could be 80 yards in the trees or 1100 yards
across a wheat field. Having the moa to adjust without a big moa rail would be # on
my list of wants.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

I agree with some of the points above, 5x magnification would be a great starting point. I would keep it to a 30mm tube for weight savings. 80-100moa of elevation travel at a minimum. Matched reticle/adjustments. 32oz at the top end of the spectrum. 44-50mm abjective. 3.5-4" constant eye relief. Zero stop. And the absolute most important feature, which shouldn't be a problem for USO, absolute dead nuts tracking. Sounds a lot like a NightForce, and try and keep it under $2k
Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason USO View Post
Hello memebers,

I am Jason from U.S. Optics. I’m new to this particular forum, so here is a little introduction about myself. I served in the Marines for 12 years as an Infantryman and currently I am the V.P. of Operations here at U.S. Optics.

What we are trying to do here is come up with the ultimate long range hunting rifle scope. This is where your expertise comes in. With you being the end user your input is extremly important to us. So to get things rolling I have a few questions to start.

What power range?
Adjustable parallax on the side or objective?
What type of reticle? One of our exsiting ones or we can design a new reticle with your help.
MOA or MIL?
Illumination?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Kyle
jason.kyle@usoptics.com

Welcome Jason,

You've definitely come to the right place, some of the guys here are truly talented (& humble).

My .002 cents:

1. Weight means almost nothing (within reason), most of my rigs are +10 lbs anyway
2. SIDE FOCUS ONLY for me, much easier to use
3. Illumination is cool but I haven't found a legitimate use for it yet (outside spotlighting) may be an unnecessary cost.
4. MOA OR MILS in the reticle as long as it matches the turrets!! But preferrably MOA. Now the less clutter the better, sometimes i'll spend an enormous amount of time behind the rifle observing or spotting & seems to me the more "stuff" inside the reticle the faster my eye fatigues?? (maybe i'm weird) i'm thinking about the MOA scale Type 1 as just about right.
5. Power range, the make it or break it for me. In contrast to other folks, if the power range is below 20x kiss it good bye, i'll look but I won't be buying.

Keep us posted buddy & thanks for asking
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason USO View Post
Hello memebers,

If you could keep it around 20 oz it would be a big competitive advantage over the competition in the price range you are at. I think this is why the March’s are catching on.

If you are thinking of doing a velocity reticle, keep it in the FFP.

Keep the windage marks on the reticle to 1 moa or less.

For the long range crowd, a free Trajectory Matched Turret (with mil or moa still on it) would be a marketing asset.

zero stop is a must

Last edited by elkregulator; 08-24-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

I'll add that I agree on the eye relief. Out of position shots can bite you with a big bore.
And the weight isn't real critical to me on a real long range gun. They tend to run heavy
by design in most cases.
Sounds like you are planning on a more "off the shelf" product than in the past? The
lit reticle and ergo vs. objective lens parallax adj. ( Tpal) and reticle is why I ask.
And I should add a zero stop is a must.

Last edited by Loner; 08-24-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Welcome Jason;

Here is a list of what I think would sell for you;

Power Range: 5-25x ( with a 50mm objective )
Front adj. Parallax less moving parts than side adj.
Weight no more than 24oz.
Illuminated yes as an option
Reticle: a simple to use moa or mil reticle not cluttered.

Jason you never mentioned about if you are going to use your existing glass as your other scopes you mfg. now or vend out for some other glass to keep your cost down?

I do believe you could make such a scope and have it be in the $995.00- $1295.00 price range and still have a liveable profit.