Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

using target knobs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 PM

using target knobs?

I was shooting a few days ago,and adjusted the elevation knob to hit at longer ranges. When I returned the elevation knob to the zero mark,the gun was shooting low at 100yds (the orginal zero distance). Should you turn the knob past the zero mark,then back to zero? The Scope is a Sightron SIII 6.5X24X42 Mil Dot. It's supposed to have the "Exact Trac" feature. It didn't however, shift the windage, it just shot lower than orginally set. Any advice will be appreciated. Ron
Old 02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

How much low was it hitting after you returned to zero and do you know for sure it was dead on at 100 before dialing?

Do you have the knobs set so that "0" is your return to point?

Have you ever had this problem before with it?

Have you checked to make sure everything is tight and secure?

Just curious as my hunting buddy has an SIII with std. crosshairs and his tracks fine. Typically when you turn your elevation turret down, as in returning to zero, you are going down against spring pressure so you shouldn't have a problem and shouldn't have to compensate for anything.

If you can document and prove to your satisfaction that the scope is the problem you might have to send it back to get it fixed.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

I agree

qwith SS7rm. This is why everyone buys the NF,Repeatability! I would try a box text with it and see if it tracks for you. I have also shot one round and dialed 10 moa and then back to zero and shoot another round. Did this for three shot group to see if it would return to zero.

One other thing to check..Happend to me. The knobs that you can set to zero, I had a screw come loose and twist .5moa on me. I was hitting .5moa low at all distances tell i fiqured it out.

Willys
Old 02-09-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys46 View Post
qwith SS7rm. This is why everyone buys the NF,Repeatability! I would try a box text with it and see if it tracks for you. I have also shot one round and dialed 10 moa and then back to zero and shoot another round. Did this for three shot group to see if it would return to zero.

One other thing to check..Happend to me. The knobs that you can set to zero, I had a screw come loose and twist .5moa on me. I was hitting .5moa low at all distances tell i fiqured it out.

Willys
I ran all the checks.and the scope definatley has a problem. It was sent back to Sightron for repair,or replacement. Thanks for the help,Ron