Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Using MOA hash marks for hold over

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Using MOA hash marks for hold over

There is no telling what gun, length barrel, or any weather conditions that winchester had when it made its drop data. Best thing to do would be shoot through a chrony, then use that data and the conditions you usually hunt in in a ballistic program. Then go out and verify the chart. 2" isn't that much at 500. Its less than 1/2 MOA, and that is as good as most rifles can shoot. Plenty good enough for hunting to 500 IF your rifle shoots the way your balistic program predicted you to.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
I wish I could get use to dialing in ranges but being near 50, it is ingrained in my brain to do the hold overs.... I will look on the Iphone app store to see what they have...
What have all the Nightforce people that do NOT dial been doing? Those have all been SFP until just recently...
I have an older NF on a coyote rifle. It's a 22-250 and I've used it out to about 600 yds on coyotes (shot at some further, but didn't connect). That scope doesn't have any tall turrets, it's low profile but it does have the moa reticle. I just memorized my holdover and 10 mph drifts out to 600.

1moa low at 300, 3 moa at 400, 5 moa at 500, 8 moa at 600. If it was 550 I split the difference and used 6 1/2 minutes holdover, 450 yds I used 4 moa.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM

please excuse the newbie question but I see this term "holdover" a lot.

what exactly are we talkin bout here? is it as obvious as it seems?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah Marc, it is. Suppose u look at your verified "dope" and it says that at 475 yds, u need 5 moa of "holdover" (trajectory compensation) from whatever your zero is. U just holdover 5 of those little 1 moa marks in your scope...

but if it were me i'd calculate, test, and troubleshoot the ballistics programs zeros in MOA for the optic's highest power (~.75 MOA @ 24x). Then recalc the holdovers in 50-yd. intervals for easier interpolation. I.e. suppose u need 4.8 MOA holdover for 550 yds. that's 6.4, .75 MOA marks (4.8/.75=6.4).

Now if u want to use the optic at a lower power adjust the power to 12x, and just halve the holdover reference (assuming the scope is ~accurately cald. for power) . U could easily put that dope into a Butler Creek scope cap cover with the addtl. 12x reference info as a short concise notation like say (12=1/2).
Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Ah yes, I figured. Thanks Senior Coyote!

I do have a lot to learn. not used to moa's or calculating but I'll get there.

I'm an old Kentucky windage shooter...LOL, but using the new tools is gonna be fun PLUS, I do kinda like the Classroom!!

thanks for you examples. It really is great how experienced shooters on this site help out less experienced shooters.

IMHO, this is how we ensure our sport grows! Helping each other out.

thanks again!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Bronze Member

The best of both worlds is to use holdover out to about 400-500 yards - generally where you need speed!. After that dialing in will give more confidence in the shot.

For my hunting rifle I use drop cards that I build up carefully through the summer, I make them for different altitudes and keep the one I need for the trip tucked inside the butler creek cheekpad on the stock.

Jay
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

what you are wanting is pretty easy to do with Exbal and their reticle tool.

You can set up for any power and any scope as long as you know the distances at 100 for the dots, marks, circles etc.

Here is an example. No Click LR carry gun

BH