Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

US Optics or Premier Reticles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

US Optics or Premier Reticles

I am moving up to the higher quality end of scopes so to speak which I will need for my SnipeTac338 for them long range shots.
Some time ago I clearly watched a good stag standing broadside to me at 792 yards looking through my x15 Swarovski binoculars at late afternoon light.
When I went to take the shot I could not pick that stag up in my 5.5-22x56 NightForce scope no matter what I did or how hard I tried.
I even backed the magnification back down to around x12 to x15 but still could not pick up the stag and everything else did not appear as clear as I was seeing with my binoculars.
To put it simply the light gathering ability in poor light conditions amazed me somewhat despite the fact that these scopes have some excellent optics to say the least.
So now I am looking at higher quality scopes in the quest for better light gathering in poor light conditions so that I do not experience this same sort of thing happening again.
Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these scopes to comment and to help me to decide upon which scope to choose and your reasons why please.
All comments will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:11 AM

Re: US Optics or Premier Reticles

I have PR 3-15x50 on my long range target rifle and I am very pleased with every aspect of the function and quality. Low light situations have not shown any issues.
The only consideration for hunting would be the weight at 38 oz (but if you run out of ammo you can use it to beat the prey to death) .
Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

I have a Premier 5-25x56. It is a great scope with optics that are second to none. I recommend these scopes to anyone who needs great glass. Also the customer service Premier offers is amazing. However these scopes do have a downside. They are heavy. If weight is a consideration I might look at something else. But both of your choices are heavy scopes. So I wouldn't think this is a consideration.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Bronze Member

Stick with European optics if your after light gathering capabilities.
The Schmidt&Bender 5-25x56 or the zeiss 6-24x56 or 72 both theses scopes are exellent in low light conditions. Only downside is the size and weight of these scopes, I think the price is in the same range as the scopes your looking at.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNDUKI View Post
Stick with European optics if your after light gathering capabilities.
The Schmidt&Bender 5-25x56 or the zeiss 6-24x56 or 72 both theses scopes are exellent in low light conditions. Only downside is the size and weight of these scopes, I think the price is in the same range as the scopes your looking at.
Both S&B and Zeiss are excellent. I got to do a side-by-side comparison with a Hensoldt when I bought my Premier. There is minimal difference. And both US Optics and Premier use German glass in their products. Thus the OP is fine either way.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Silver Member

Thanks to everyone for your input, much appreciated.
Will keep you posted on scope and rifle with some "show and tell" when everything comes together.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

If you're concerned about glass quality, especially in low light, you will likely be happier with the Premier. The glass in my Premier looked just a hair better than my S&B. The few USO's I've compared it to have been OK, but noticeably a step down in image quality.