Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

US Optics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Bronze Member

US Optics?

Hi Guys,

Anyone like US Optics scopes? I'm starting a new gun and considering these scopes. They have quite the assortment of options on the web: www.usoptics.com

I am getting sick of the parallax in my Leupold Vari-X II 3-9 w/target elevation, so I figured I'd go off the deep end and get a really nice scope. The gun will be something on the order of .308 Win and will be for year-round shooting at ranges usually below 800 yards. I am also looking at Nightforce NXS, maybe 5.5-22x56.

Any thoughts or likes/dislikes about Nightforce or USO? I am especially interested in parallax adjustments. I have read mixed things about Leupold's Mk 4 side parallax.

Scott
Old 11-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: US Optics?

Scott,
Would suggest you look for an opportunity to try MK4, NXS, S&B and USO. I am shooting a USO that has incredible optics. Only thing that I have an issue with is reaching waaaay up front to adjust the parallax ring. Maybe my arms are short, it is a reach.
Another thing, if you ever had to use your rifle scope for a baseball bat I would bet the USO would provide the longest hits. It is BIG, bulky and tough as nails [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Bronze Member

[ QUOTE ]
Only thing that I have an issue with is reaching waaaay up front to adjust the parallax ring. Maybe my arms are short, it is a reach. . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I am concerned about. That and rotating the scope cover hinge to touch the barrel. I don't quite get the T-pal arrangement. I assume it is the same operation as Leupold and others with a 3rd side knob.

I read somewhere (6mmbr.com maybe) that the side turret-mounted parallax adjustments can have problems with backlash. Not sure if that is an issue with all side-mount parallax adjustments, or just some brands.

Scott
Old 11-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

You should check out www.snipershide.com Do a search and you'll find mountains of info, both good and bad on the USOs.

Chris
Old 11-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Bronze Member

Are all these scopes that much better than the Nikon Tactical's? I don't see people mention these very often. I'm very happy with mine, but then again, I haven't owned any of the others listed. I'm curious on opinions.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

Some of the long range tactical shooters are really into optics. Zak Smith is a good example. His article Long Range Optics is well worth the read.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

I own several and love them!!!!! I also have several S&B PMII's and it is a tough choice but depending on the gun I will use one or the other!