Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

unhappy with leupold warranty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 07:13 AM
Silver Member

unhappy with leupold warranty

yep,i think their new line of scopes are going right to their head to "make money".lifetime warranty fix or replace may have changed also.i sent back a 3x9x40 vari-x 11 three times now,first a turret lock-up 2nd a bad image problem they replaced the erector system and when i got it back,installed it on the same.243 (with proper mounts and rings).i just got it dialed in at 100yds and the sight picture was horrible,black-ringed on 3x,blurry and fuzzy on 9x.it made me crosseyed.i removed it and returned it,they gave it a visual and mechanical "inspection" and its on its way back [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] as is. i was told its 36yrs old and thats the way they were back then [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] go figure [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] it will be back july 5th for re-install on same gun,i am expecting the same results,and for recommendations short of sawing it in 1/2 and sending it to their board of directors

Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

Re: unhappy with leupold warranty

That sucks! I have never had a problem with any of leupolds products. My dad has 4 Vari X II scopes that were made a LONG time ago and they still have crystal clear immages in them. I don't know if it could be your eye or something. Eveyones eyes view things different so maybe someone else could look through it to confirm that it is the scope and not you.
If it is still not fixed when you get it back you may try to break something major on it ie. bend the tube or something but make it look beleiveable that something like that could have happened and then have a buddy send it back just so that they don't connect that it was you since you had already given them trouble.

I really hate to recommend something like that but it may just be the only way to get a new replacement for the old one.

Hope all works out! AND KEEP US UPDATED ON THE OUTCOME!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

i have had others verify after zeroing at 100yds.there is not much range adjustment and this scope has been riding on no less than 10 rifles over the yrs with the same poor results.i've even filed bases to make it work.i gave it to my hunting partner for 5yrs for his kids to beat around because nobody else wanted it on their rifles either.i have a 6x vari-x 11 and a 2.5x8-3.5x10 and 4.5x40 vari-x 111 that work fine. along with the scope i told them i am on the edge of buying a 4.5x14x50 mark4 tactical for the gun that is in the mail now from (50).they could care less.their rep asked "if i bought this new"and their warranty said it didnt matter if you're the original owner?i'm going to badmouth them till the make this right.they wont even e-mail me back and i have not said anything rude or nasty. this scope is defective and they are not fixing it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Bronze Member

-Theres probably been numerous changes over the years mechanically and otherwise. I think they are fobbing you off either because they will not or cant rectify the defect.
Now its cost you 3 carriages already, how many more before they set up the scope properly or replace? I think they are hoping you are going to get fed up and give up.

In the past i have known Leupold replace a genuine Mark 4 M1x16 courtesy of airport baggage handling and repair foc an EFR PR modded scope driven over by a Landrover within a few days.

Just check the eye relief at low mag for starters. Secondly on 9 mag what distance does this scope go out of focus ie 30 yards or 50?
Alternatively, when the scope is delivered, accidently on purpose drop it in front of the wagons rear wheel [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Gold Member

Don't get me wrong that I'm defending Leupold but some of those early scopes from the 60's didn't have the best focus and some even appear dark. I had one finally send it back in for a new tube that ended that. Now the question is should leupold give you a new scope to replace that one. If it was me I'd send it in for a new tube or even a reticle change of course you will have to pay. You can always send the scope out to Ackerman or Wally Siebert and see what they think. As to the adjustments sure in those early scope there wasn't very much. Preimer Reticles used to change those dial adjustment to clicks. I had one dealing from leupold that didn't go my way so send the scope to Wally no big deal it hasn't stopped me from buy leupold scopes or bad mouthing them. At some point a scope will just wear out. Just my .02
Old 06-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

i just saved premier reticles in favorites,they stock badger rings and bases and the scope i am(was)looking at.i told leupold i would pay to make it a vx-11 and they never responded (i copied the letter to customer service and their sales dept),again "they won't e-mail me back!"i told them "my credit card is ready" it must be "temp worker season?" really they're yanking me?
ackerman or walley siebert? do you have a contact?
http://www.premierreticles.com/ is south of me by like 3hrs,but i have relatives near there and am due for a visit.
so much for lifetime?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

How old is this scope ? Do you want them to send you a new one?Has this scope lost it's seal?Is their a scope manufacturer out there that would entertain any questions re: scope performance/replacement.

A 36 yr. old scope is /has been providing service for a spell.