Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Understanding G7 turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Understanding G7 turrets

Not much longer and my stock will be ready and I can send my parts to a smith and have my rifle built. After my new rifle is built I will start my load development trying to find the most accurate load for my rifle. Once I find what load shoots the best out of my rifle then that load will never be changed. Having said all of that my question for you guys is optics selection. I really like the looks of the new Vortex HS LR 4 x 16 x 50 with a custom turret to match my load selection. Using the G7 ballistics chart will it be possible for me to simply get a true yardage reading from my range finder and set my turret for that yardage and make a clean shot? Maybe you guys can help me with this so I can finally get past choosing optics.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: Understanding G7 turrets

Do you think that you would be comfortable w/ 1/2 MOA adjustments?
I have a couple of 1/3's and actually really like that. I don't know what to think of 1/2.. Might not be a big deal, but I don't know. It seems like it might be a little coarse. That also explains the 24 MOA / revolution. 20 gets me farther than I would normally be comfortable wo/ using my PDA.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Understanding G7 turrets

BH hunter you make a good point and 1/2 MOA could be a poor choice for long range. I have looked at the Vortex PST FFP EBR-1 MOA and might decide to go that route. I would like to modify the scope to make it user friendly in the hunting situations both close and far. One being a custom turret match to a certain load. The other being a shorter windage knob and dust cover like the HS LR. Im not going to be dialing in windage when I can just hold off using the MOA marks. I like the idea of having FFP because my shots will very from 50 yards out 500 yards. I can crank the magnifacation you or down without changing my point of impact.