Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ultra Light Spotting Scope Choices??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Ultra Light Spotting Scope Choices??

I'm looking for an ultra light spotting scope for long treks. I currently use a Leupold 12x40 HD but need something lighter for packing. Considering the Leupold Gold Ring compacts. Anyone have a recommendation for something or use either the Leupy Golden Ring 12x20 or 15x30?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ultra Light Spotting Scope Choices??

I thought I read that the 10-20x40 was being discontinued, but I don't know for sure. I tried one and like the size and weight. Decent image for the price, but on a foggy/cloudy day, my Monarch rifle scope had a much clearer and brighter image than the Leupold 10-20x40.

I have an ED50 with 13-30x and 16x digiscope eyepieces. Its a nice little scope, and much better than the Leupold 10-20x40 that I tried, but it also costs nearly 2x as much. The ED50 seems like the go-to spotter for many hunters looking for a lightweight optic.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_point View Post
I have an ED50 with 13-30x and 16x digiscope eyepieces. The ED50 seems like the go-to spotter for many hunters looking for a lightweight optic.
Have you or anyone else figured out a way to adapt Nikon's mickey mouse case so that it is a stay on case and can be used without taking scope completly out of the case provided each and every time. I know there is a company from the UK that is making a stay on case for the ED50 but prefer buying something from the USA if that is possible. Nice little scope but case it comes with has a lot to be desired. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Bushnell - Elite 15-45 x 60 mm, Matte [781548P]

This is the one I use as the moment--mostly for it's light weight (26 oz.) and compactness. Price is not bad either. Certainly not a Swarovski, but I can count points at over 1000 yds with it and I don't want to pack anything bigger or heavier for miles on my back.

The USO scope of similar dimensions (just a tad heavier at 2.0 lbs) would be my choice when I can scrape up the cash, especially since it has an MOA reticle--perfect compliment to an MOA riflescope reticle for your spotter to call shots if necessary.

http://www.usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=SPO-100

The 65mm Swaro would be nice and it's design is fairly compact and at 2.19 lbs.

The Leup Mark 4 is pretty compact as well, but a bit more weight at 37 oz.

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl