Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ultimate Scope, input please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 11:55 PM

Re: Ultimate Scope, input please

I would like to request a scope that has a built in automatic target acquisition/identification matrix.
You know, so when I'm hung-over and asleep in my stand that big buck wont get away.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Silver Member

Lets start by getting rid of the traditional design, why not a straight tube 50mm or 40mm? The diameter could be reduced towards to ocular end (imagine a Swarovski SLC binocular 15x60 cut in half so you have a monocular-that sort of size and construction or a long toilet tube if you like but someone has the rights on that one I think). As part of the body an intgegral mounting system that goes straight onto a 1913 picatinny rail. Lets do away with rings and mounts they are the weak link in the system, a pain in the butt to lap and come loose anyway.I think S&B used or still do a STGSNAG system that was one-piece machined as part of the tube, so it can be done. A big diameter tube to get as much elevation / windage sdjustment in as possible (40mm or 50mm should do) with an S&B PM2 type turret system.

Lens`s about time we had HD /APO lens`s like the top end spotting scopes also scratch proof.

So with top lens`s and a load of internal adjustment how about some good magnification. Start by having a 5x zoom ratio. The new S&B 5-25x56 has it and also USO. Something in the 10-50x50 range to give Nightforce serious competition (who else produces a good high magnification zoom scope (40x)with decent amounts of internal elevation)? Work down in ratios and scope size from that. Choice is good.

Also as buyer choice first and second focal plain reticle placement options. I like the Klein reticle but the more choice the better. Also lit reticle options, normal battery type (single dot please not the whole reticle so you dont see the target). or tritium options so you don`t need a battery (Hensoldt did it). On battery models the illumination should be easily adjustable, like S&B or Hesoldt / Zeiss. Don`t mind where the adjustment is provided you dont need a screwdriver to do it.

Now I will be in a minority of one but I would not want other technology in a scope. Lasers are nice but it is electric and breaks. I would sooner break a laser bino / monocular and replace it than a whole scope because the laser bit broke. Anyway Swarovski tried it, did not seem to work, at the time a 600m laser was cutting edge now it is only good for golfers.

Ok so I dont want to be a Ludite when it comes to technology crap. On the wish list I read something (dont know if I was baffled by science or bullshit but I am too stupid to understand it) that it is possible to detect changes in air particles due to wind speed. Not sure if wavelength or ironization ? was changing but whatever it could be detected and the detection unit could detect along along a beam path, say 10m wide and high out to 600m or longer. So waht you ended up with was wind speed analysis right where your bullet was going. Now if you could stick that into a scope with a little LED telling you your average windspeed from muzzle to taget I would put up with electronic crap in the scope.

Really like everyone else ideas, especially the OD green and waterproof lens covers also ability to use camea size threads for AI skylight and polar filers.

David.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

Not even sure if this is technically capable of being done, but I'll throw it out there simply because I could see some use in having it. How about some mechanism that allows you choose whether you want 1 click to equal 1 MOA, 1/2 MOA, 1/4 MOA or 1/8 MOA?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Bronze Member

I also second Dave King's list. I like metric clicks and metric reticles, single turn turrets, color option, FFP reticles, and the internal cant, inclinometer.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

Pete,
All of the suggestions are good but how about something that will ensure the damn cross-hairs are straight up and down when the scope is put on a rifle. I have yet to put a scope on square. Have tried lots of accessories, plumb lines etc. but damned if I can get the suckers on straight up and down - something about inherently being 10 degrees off plumb... Swaro introduced more models with the integral base, maybe that would be worth considering. Get rid of scope bases by machining them into the bottom of the scope.
Good luck with your information collection!
Old 03-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Gold Member

Guys, thanks for the input, keep it coming, some good points, ive cut and pasted em and i'm putting a presentation together to show the R&D team. You guys are talking direct to the R&D of one of the worlds most prominent optics companies. This is a great opertunity.
I don't see Buck Rogers type kit bieng the out come, swarovski treid the intergral range finder and it was a flop( bad R&B and poor market research) fire control similar to a MBT would be unethical for hunting and prone to malfunction in a war environment.
Intregral bases are interesting, and some of the scope manufacturers have them, but to me they limit mounting options and are not a field tough as a good set of rings. An internal anti cant device should help with the mounting cant problems, i have long since marked my scope tubes for TDC, this would be a good addition, a reference mark, of course there can be problems with in accurate machined recievers, bieng able to rotate the scope to line it up with the vertical centre of the bore does help us cancell this out.
This is a super opertunity for all us guys, long range hunters, snipers, F class shooters, LE, Mil and Civie alike. I aim to make the most of it for us..
Cheers Pete [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2005, 07:58 AM

Pete,

I am excited about this....

please keep us posted....

Ric