Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Ultimate Scope, input please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ultimate Scope, input please

I like the particle beam idea... I assume you mean to use more than one particle per several seconds though.

I believe the laser rangefinder may be a bad idea for a standard scope, any standard scope. For high tech unlimited funded ops maybe they're fine but not for me. Lasers problem include colimation problems, intervening clutter (trajectories are arcs but lasers are line-of-sight), adds bulk, is technology sensitive and generation obsolete before release.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

And from a marketing standpoint. You don't think it would sell? I think there is a little BUCK ROGERS in all of us! Man loves gadgets! I bet if you made a scope "The Swiss Army of scopes", with everything including the kitchen sink, there would be a market. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Here goes! [ QUOTE ]
1. Non-rotating ocular when power is changed OR integral lense cover with non-position sensitive release mechanism. Maybe a lense cover system thats screw in like a shade, a very short shade with a lid.)

2. Large "knobs" for elevation, windage and parallax (if parallax is an option) with caps that can be used or left at home. (Like Mark 4 type but with caps so tight transport options like scabbards and such don't screw things up.)

3. A "zero" stop.

4. Large tube (30mm minimum) but a small(ish) objective (40mm) so we can get a low mount.

5. Non/low change in eye relief on power change.

6. NON-canted reticle, quality reticle installation, not more than + or - 2 degrees or so.

7. Finish... matte OD would be a nice color option (Wish list: a slip on/around scopesleeve of heavy plastic with embedded color).

8. Power range(s), 2.5 x 10, 4 x 16, 6 x 24, ??

9. Calibrated reticle(s), Mil-Dot, MOA, ?? (Wish list: Add enough dots/lines to the vertical component to allow use of the entire viewable reticle rather than "wasting" the top and bottom. Add enough lines/dots to the horizontal reticle to use it for fast movers, 10 20 30 mph (15 to 20 MILs lead).

10. A TOUGH main tube and innards, no worry about bending or crushing the tube on rough use.

11. Extra springs for the erection tube on all planes so absolute return to zero and repeatability.

[/ QUOTE ] All of these were as if Dave was taking the words out of my mouth! [ QUOTE ]
1. Internal (calibrated/accurate) graduated Cant indicator

2. Internal (calibrated/accurate) graduated Inclinometer

[/ QUOTE ] Wonderful Ideas as well! I would also like to see a scratch proof coating ( not scratch resistant ) on the outer lenses like the Burris Black Diamond Titanium lenses are claimed. I am a fan of the 50 mil objectives so please dont limit it to the smaller ones even though they have their advantages. I'm sure all of us would like to see it wear a price tag under 1,000 bucks also but that may be wishful thinking! [ QUOTE ]
5. Matching spotting scope system or a cradle/clamshell housing to use a spare scope as a spotting scope. (We should be able to call "bearing" and incline "angle" to get spotter and shooter on target together.)

[/ QUOTE ] Great suggestion and I'm sure it would work wonders if I only had a spotter with me all the time!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Obviously Dave has been waiting for such an opportunity to respond to such a question for some time, the only thing I could add is to make sure for the U.S. market to make it in M.O.A. ajustments not the euro mil-rad.use simple not overdone reticles and FIRST class glass and it should be a winner unless over-priced.
B
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

I second what Brian B and Dave King said except for the part of having a 30mm tube with a 40mm objective only! Let's have options of that and 50mm and 56mm and for the benchrest line, and let's have a 50mm tube with an 80mm objective in the 35 to 50 power range for the super long range benchrest clan! Why not? US optics is doing it on special models and I would love to see someone else do that at an affordable price. Maybe while we're at it, how about tough external adjustments in the way of 100 plus minutes.........
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like a lot of great ideas, here goes.
1. minimum of 100moa of adjustment.
2. zero stop.
3. large tube, 30-35.
4. lit reticle option.
5. offer different size knobs with various moa/clk.
6. metric and english, multiple style reticles.
7. 40-44 mm objective.
8. caps that don't have to be left on.
9. ffp
10. rapid focus eye piece.
11. side focus parallax/focus control.
12. water prof lens covers, there is alot of room for improvement over what is offered at the moment.
13. alot of eye relief, 4".
14. non reflective finish.
15. etched glass.
16. non-rotating ocular.
17. how about a scope that weighs less that 25oz.
18. the internal level sounds great.
19. hopefully they don't use S&B's price list.

Although I love buttons, lights, switches, and knobs, the built in lazer range finder and particle beam stuff sounds heavy and outdated in 5 or 10 years.

Happy hunting.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

I sent this question to my pal Lou Boyd - an avid long range shooter who also builds telescopes for the Univ of arizona astrophysics dept. He writes:

[ QUOTE ]
</font> The important feature is a laser lidar which measures the windspeed over the path and corrects the reticle in real time for wind deflection in three dimensions. It could easily add in the elevation for drop at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="purple">