Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

U.S. EMBARGOS MILDOTS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2003, 06:59 PM

Re: U.S. EMBARGOS MILDOTS

Like said in a few posts, it is a US law than bans the export of any gun parts over $100 and mildot scopes ect.

I just purchased a Nightforce with the NP-R2 about a month ago, you just have to apply for an export permit or go through a dealer, it's that simple.

It's not leupold, it's not the Canadian Govn't, its the US Govn't and Canadian dealers who won't apply for an export permit because they do not think the price is worth it for the business they will do.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Here are some of the regs cut from my research notes on the subject. None of these regs have been "lifted" and are certainly in effect. The DOD and DOJ will prosecute depending upon the circumstances and their interpretation of the regs. Leupold is simply avoiding the ambiguous and arbitrary behaviour of American justice and I cannot blame them in the least. Kinda scary, eh?!

Things you can't export without a license (from the US Munitions List):

Category I
(b) Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications, and specifically designed or modified components therefor; firearm silencers and suppressors, including flash suppressors.

Category XII
(b) lasers specifically designed, modified or configured for military application including those used in military communication devices, target designators and range finders, target detection systems, and directed energy weapons.

(c) Infrared focal plane array detectors specifically designed, modified or configured for military use; image intensification and other night sighting equipment or systems specifically designed, modified, or configured for military use; second generation and above military intensification tubes (defined below) specifically designed, developed, modified, or configured for military use, and, infrared, visible, and ultraviolet devices specifically designed, developed, modified, or configured for military application.

Note: Special Definition. For purposes of this subparagraph, second and third generation image intensifier tubes are defined as having:

A peak response within the 0.4 to 1.05 micron wavelength and incorporating a microchannel plate for electron image amplification having a hole pitch (center-to-center spacing) of less than 25 microns, and having either:

(a) An S-20, S-25 or multialkali photocathode; or (b) A semiconductor photocathode.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:33 AM
Bronze Member

I contacted Premier and they will not ship either gen1 or gen2 mildot equipped scopes out of the USA. They did not seem to be impressed by what the USA government was letting them do or not do. They said they can ship outside the USA to the military (I presume friendly's) or for law enforcement use only.
Bummer. If a bad guy or guy's want a scope with a mildot I am sure this ban has no affect on the black market, or a scope bought from Schmidt & Bender or Nightforce outside of the USA.