Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

U.S. EMBARGOS MILDOTS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

U.S. EMBARGOS MILDOTS

Was told today that Leupold is no longer shipping any Mildot equipped scopes into Canada - none, nada, zilch, SFA. Their repair depot cannot get mildot reticles to make switches either.

What's the deal? Is this making certain beaurocrats feel happy, knowing that they are not living next door to a country infested with MILDOTS in their riflescopes! Bottom line is that 90% of civilian/hunter/shooter mildot scope owners have no clue what in hell they are for, they are currently sexy, as in Tactical. Not quite as dangerous as weapons of mass destruction but right up there, classed as war material or something.

Hell, we got Mad Cow Disease, we got CWD, we got Lyme, we got West Nile and now a frigging Mildot Embargo. Taking away our dots is a low blow. You Yanks can have the softwood lumber, our water, our oil, our hockey players, our faggot marriage ceremonies - but couldn't you let us have a few dots...
Old 07-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: U.S. EMBARGOS MILDOTS

Holy Crap! Ian didn't you know we did it becuase the Canadian gov't won't let us import cigars from Cuba. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's not just in Canada but mil-dots are not to be exported from here on end due to they say 9-11. Sorry you had to find out the hardway but, we will gladly SMUGGLE a truck load into you from the backside. Think of the money you can make on the Black Market [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Okay....

Can a hunting rifle be taken to Canada equipted with a MilDot scope?

If not, how am I to hunt? Maybe a promise to not use that function of the reticle!

22 CFR 121 (121.1 (F) ) I see Riflescopes manufactured to military specifications... BUT there is also a section in the NOTE: that states "This category does not cover riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications." I take "category" to mean Part 121 United States Munitions List.

The "near truth" may be at work here Ian... I think what is being officially states is that a riflescope (complete unit) used by the U. S. military and built to U. S. Military specs can't be exported. Hell... the military has all types of reticles in their scopes...duplex, dot, yada, yada, yada... we couldn't export anything with a reticle. Maybe someone got confused with MIL and thought Military? Where do off shore scope manufacturers make their Mil Dots?

Someone probably knee-jerked this thing and it'll rectify itself with a little push.
http://pmdtc.org/docs/ITAR/22cfr121_Part_121.pdf

[ 07-19-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 07-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Writers Guild

Ian, it is a sad day when paranoia takes over from common sense. Should they ban all gun related magazines because of the info it might provide to would be terrorists?

How about removing the ammonia in Sweets and Barnes? That ought to keep them from shooting straight.

It is a pity things have come to this. I guess they will only export scopes now that are permanently out of focus or will never hold a setting. Could be why I never really liked Leupold. Good time for Nikon, Tasco and Bushnell.

Let's hope that common sense comes back soon. Things are getting very silly.

To the person wanting to come to Canada to hunt, there is no restrictions on recticle types in Canada. What the US gov't is afraid of is that if we get a bunch of mil dot reticles, we will be able to range their mailboxes and tires at 400yds.

At least they let us have the laser rangefinders. I guess they aren't good for ranging anything...

Enough ranting...

Jerry
Old 07-23-2003, 11:22 PM

Ian

Not sure where you got the info from but I live is Canada also and have just been sent three from said company and have had no probs getting them across the border. I think someone is pulling your leg [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Sharp
Old 07-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

Sharp,
Hope that is correct, glad to hear your scopes got up here. Got that info from the local gunshop. The letter that they got referred to the MK4 scope intended for the M-16 and apparently someone saw fit to read mildots into that restriction.
There does seem to be something going on, a friend tried to order a laser rangefinder last week from Cabela's and was told they could not ship to Canada (the guy was told he could order boots and clothes etc., no gun gear), another guy ordered bullets from Midway and was told the same.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Darryl,
One of my shooting partners has to have a cornia transplant - I suggested that he get mildots scribed into the new lens [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Could be a hell of a deal - that blond is 38", that one is 36"...
Let them try to take them mildots away! Wouldn't need them in the scope anymore [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]