Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

turrets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: turrets

well i have rang Leupold Germany and they don't do the M1 turrets.

so i have rang Leupold USA and the scope is on its way.
i asked for the M1 turrets and they said they can fit them.
and received a email saying it Will take about 5 days to do.

so that off in the post as i type this.

thanks for all your help
Colin.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

[quote (side wheel ) and that you have to take it back to infinity every time you use it.
can you have this made better so you can use it with out this hassle.quote]

Dont know where or who you have been listening to but thats a load of b....cks. Always focus from low to high rotation if you want to rangefind but 99% will probably set theirs at a predetermined distance and leave it.
Clicks will be 1/4" at 100 yards you cannot choose.
Not familiar with the ret but it could be metric as is the thread sizes of the VX range, Vari x 3 is imperial but look the same.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
[quote (side wheel ) and that you have to take it back to infinity every time you use it.
can you have this made better so you can use it with out this hassle.quote]

Dont know where or who you have been listening to but thats a load of b....cks. Always focus from low to high rotation if you want to rangefind but 99% will probably set theirs at a predetermined distance and leave it.
Clicks will be 1/4" at 100 yards you cannot choose.
Not familiar with the ret but it could be metric as is the thread sizes of the VX range, Vari x 3 is imperial but look the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is from http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

[EDITOR'S NOTE: When using Leupold side-focus scopes, such as the 6.5-20X LRT, lash in the focus knob can lead to focusing problems. When this happens your target is slightly out-of-focus when you've got the parallax "dialed-down" as much as possible. To get better, more repeatable focus, you should rotate the side-focus knob ALL the way forward to the infinity stop before setting the parallax adjustment. Go slowly. If you go past the point where parallax is minimized and focus is sharp, then go all the way back to the infinity stop and start again.]
Old 04-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Bronze Member

Ok it did get the better of me i had to have nose at the link after writing half of this. Think i am going to have to prove it, its this sort of thing thats confusing most and has no meaningfull bearing on the functionality.
Lash as in backlash on the focus wheel. Whether there is backlash or not use in one direction only low to high, you will get a different reading if you go high to low anyway. So if there is backlash, rotating in one direction you have initially took up the play, if any.
Incidently different readings will be obtained if using very slowly but nowhere as profound as the differing lighting conditions and fitting of sunshades.
I have a genuine Mark 4 and a VX3 8.5x25 modded LRT plus begged stole or borrowed just about every repectable scope out there.
I have a 12 year old Tasco here somewhere thats got severe backlash and still performs exactly the same as if it had none. Admitedly it does not look or feel good. If you go past the object, rotate the other way a bit then take up play and go up again to it. Not the other way round as in link.
Get this focusing right a competant person should be able to estimate the range within +/- 1.5% beter than a decent laser rangefinder plus associated issues, 5% is not very good. If you follow as in the link i would be surprised at +/-8%.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Ok it did get the better of me i had to have nose at the link after writing half of this. Think i am going to have to prove it, its this sort of thing thats confusing most and has no meaningfull bearing on the functionality.
Lash as in backlash on the focus wheel. Whether there is backlash or not use in one direction only low to high, you will get a different reading if you go high to low anyway. So if there is backlash, rotating in one direction you have initially took up the play, if any.
Incidently different readings will be obtained if using very slowly but nowhere as profound as the differing lighting conditions and fitting of sunshades.
I have a genuine Mark 4 and a VX3 8.5x25 modded LRT plus begged stole or borrowed just about every repectable scope out there.
I have a 12 year old Tasco here somewhere thats got severe backlash and still performs exactly the same as if it had none. Admitedly it does not look or feel good. If you go past the object, rotate the other way a bit then take up play and go up again to it. Not the other way round as in link.
Get this focusing right a competant person should be able to estimate the range within +/- 1.5% beter than a decent laser rangefinder plus associated issues, 5% is not very good. If you follow as in the link i would be surprised at +/-8%.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO IF I DO IT THE OPPOSITE WAY TO WHAT THEY SAY IT WORKS BETTER.
thanks for that i will give this a go.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

Colin, you get three attaboys and three hurrah's for posting the link to 6mmbr's info on parallax. So much stuff online about parallax is bunk. What's in their website is great and everyone should be required to memorize it before owning a rifle scope....there oughtta be a law!!!

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

[quote
SO IF I DO IT THE OPPOSITE WAY TO WHAT THEY SAY IT WORKS BETTER.
thanks for that i will give this a go.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what? Rangfinding? Using the parralex adjustment isnt a very good way to range. Most of the time the yardage markers wont line up with the actual distance anyway. Use a rangefinder for rangeing, and the parralex adjustment for parralex adjustment. To adjust for parralex, go all the way to infinity and then back slowly untill there is no more parralex. If you go past it you have to go all the way back to infinity.