Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Turret turning vs Mil-Dot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Turret turning vs Mil-Dot

From my understanding the Mil-dots were not intended to use as hold overpoints but as a rang measuring device then the scope was to be dialed up to the required zero for the range that you figured.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
From my understanding the Mil-dots were not intended to use as hold overpoints but as a rang measuring device then the scope was to be dialed up to the required zero for the range that you figured.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your understanding is incorrect! See the link here to TK Lee and scroll down to Muliple Dots: Bullet Drop.
http://www.scopedot.com/id4.html
Old 08-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your understanding is incorrect! See the link here to TK Lee and scroll down to Muliple Dots: Bullet Drop.
http://www.scopedot.com/id4.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Mil-dots were DESIGNED for ranging and double as holdover points too.

TK Lee/ballistic mil-dot (bad name) and others were designed to hold over.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/mildot.htm

JB
Old 08-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Sorry I didn't realize you were only saying DESIGNED.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You can still use the mils at any magnification it is just a different figure per dot. Example is a scope set to read 3.6 <font color="blue"> inches per dot </font> at 10X would be 1.8 <font color="blue"> inches per dot </font> at 20X.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just clarifying [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, that is what I meant to say!
Old 08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

I use ranging and ballistic reticles for downrange zeroing, ranging, and windage reference. I even take the simple plex as far as i can (have 1 on a .17 Mach IV handgun, that gets me TACTICALLY to about 350 or so). I don't run clicks in the field as i have a system that allows me to reference holdover and windage as exact as i can possibly get it in tenths of each stadia-stadia subtension no matter what reticle i'm using-- ballistic or ranging. The system is very accurate even on pr. dog size targets, BUT it's not as accurate as someone that's referencing windage directly along the horizontal axis of the x-hair with some stadia, and clicking with a repeatable turret. But i've found it's close enough especially to 600 yds. no problem. As Ward Brien of snipertools.com says (paraphrased)-- "if you're clicking you're wasting time." I believe that's true to some certain distance way out there (cretainly to beyond 600 for most setups).