Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Trupulse 200 rangefinder?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 12:09 AM

Trupulse 200 rangefinder?

Anyone tried one of these, if so how does it rank? I guess I'll be finding out as I picked up one on ebay.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Silver Member

Re: Trupulse 200 rangefinder?

i asked the same question ages ago... noone on here seems to have tried them.

Please post how it goes for us! great potential considering it has a hypsometer built in aswell. Very reputable company also, they make heaps of laser gear for, law enforcement, govt etc.

good luck
Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Specs looks good and promising ...

Laser Technology - TruPulse Laser Rangefinder

Be the first to evaluate for long range hunting/shooting applications. Please keep us posted.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 AM

I'll report back after I get it in the field and try it out. I like the idea of reading the angle in degrees instead of TBR or ARC ect.. Hopefully I dont regret it! But I'm getting it to my door for $300 and it lists for twice that or better! We'll see if it's worth it. I only have a Bushnell legend at the moment, so I definitely need something a little better. After reading some of the reports on here from the Bushnell Legend 1500, i'm starting to wonder if i should've went that route. One report I read on the forum the guy was claiming readings on whitetails out way past 1000yds. That cant be right!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

heres some more info on it for those interested...

http://www.quantumgear.com/catalog/b...uPulse-T&D.pdf

http://www.quantumgear.com/catalog/b...se_Handout.pdf
Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 AM

Ok guys, I got this thing in and i'm ready to test it out. I managed to range a few things this evening with it. The longest was a water tower at about 1100yds, the sun was out and I only got to play with it for about 20 minutes. I only have have a bushnell legend to compare it to, and it beats it hands down. But, it should be in a higher class than that! I live in Missouri, and finding something to range at around here is tricky. It is totally flat land with trees all over. If anyone has a scientific aproach to testing a range finder, let me know! I want to put this thing through the ringer and let you know the details.

My first opinion is this: This is not a rangefinder you would want to go into the field with, without prior practice with. It has a lot of options that take time to learn. You can get lost in the options if you dont know how to navigate them. I spent about 30 minutes on the menus, and pretty much have it figured out. I do like the ability to show line of site distance, angle in degrees to target. This is more beneficial than to me than a generic TBR or ARC as some companies would derive as a "fix for all shots". You can also use the HD "Horizontal Distance" to figure true hrizontal distance to target. This is much like the TBR and ARC funtions of other rangefinders. You can also use the HT function to figure height. this consists of: 1): a distance reading. 2): an angle measurement to the base of the target. 3): an angle measurement to the top of target. The on board computer figures all of this data to get you a triangulated figure for the vertical height of a target. "used in the forrestry industy to measure tree height" The rangefinder also has a VD funtion. This lets you shoot a beam to a target, and it lets you know the height above your current elevation to what you just shot the beam at.

This thing has some cool features. How well it ranges at long range is yet to be determined. Let me know what you want me to try with this "new toy" and I'll try to get you back some usefull info.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

well, most people on here will ask how well it ranges game animals, then other things that may be around your quarry such as trees grass and rocks if you cant get a reading on the animal itself... doesnt really help if you test it on reflective road signs, houses, cars etc....

test it in different light conditions such as full sun and twilight and note how much better it is in the twilight.

Comment on how often it will not range at all and how sensitive it is ranging "off hand" as opposed to holding it steady on a sandbag etc...

And lastly, try ranging at targets thru trees or scrub at distance to gain some insight into how much beam divergence it has. You could also determine this by ranging things over very flat ground and see it picks up other things in front of your target somtimes and gives you different ranges...

Im in the process of testing the Zeiss PRF and will post findings once ive spent some more time with it... love new toys