Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Trouble with Nikon M223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

Re: Trouble with Nikon M223

I was thinking without taking it apart, throw some orings around where the turret meets the body of the scope. O-ring just the right thickness, and diammeter to get the drag you need to keep them from turning on you.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 AM

I realize this is an older thread, but I feel compelled to add some info.

I recently just come across this thread, while reaearching the Nikon M223 scope.

Not sure if the original poster realizes that Nikons turrets on this line of scope
actually unlock and free spin to reset zero position. If you grasp the elevation or
windage turret, and pull outward(away from main tube) , the turret will release from
its linkage and free-wheel. Push it back inward, and it audibly snaps back into
connection.

I do not know if original poster was aware of this function, so I thought it
pertinent info. I have a couple Nikon M223 series scopes, and they function
fine. Hope this helps..
Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 PM

I am aware of that function and it doesn't help when using the scope in the field. I like the scope but the turret arrangement doesn't work for hunting. You either need turret caps or the turrets need to be stiffer (I don't have this problem with Leupold or Nightforce). I sent mine down the road and it is a shame b/c I liked everything else about the scope and it worked great off the bench.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:14 PM

Understood, that is a shame like you mentioned, it is a decent scope.

I have had no problem with my turrets moving inadvertantly, as the clicks are quite
positive in their engagement. On my scope, there is no way a rub against a
jacket, pack or whatever would move the turrets from their position.

It is unfortunate that Nikon didn't at least provide some avenue of recourse.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

I have the same scope on my Sig 516. And I suffer the same irritation.

I am likely going to pull it off in the next month or so and sell/trade it on something more suited to staying set.

On the positive, the glass is ok and the optic works well.

Overall I see this as a detractor like the OP.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 PM

This comment is way after all the rest. But with that said I have a new (lest than 6 month old) m 223 Nikon I love everything else about the scope but this one thing makes the whole thing suck. It moves to easy. I've put cat Orings on it to keep the turrets from engaging and that helps but still the confidence isn't there when I shoot it. I have a friend in Idaho who is a machinist. He popped the caps of and drilled the turrets and installed set screws, his works great. I can't get my caps of to remove the turrets to drill and tap the holes. Also Nikon said the warranty would be void if I did. Wow what do I do can't Nikon just have some caps made to cover the the turrets so they don't move. I've called them twice with no positive reply. If they don't offer a fix I am done with them. Sorry such an obvious mistake makes a otherwise good scope substandard.
Please Nikon make it right, it needs a fix BAD!!
Old 09-09-2014, 07:40 AM

I was the original poster. Never found a fix I was confident in. Sold it.