Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Trouble with Nikon M223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 AM

Trouble with Nikon M223

I have a Nikon M223 3-12 on an AR. Decent glass, accurate adjustments and BDC. My problem is the BDC moves too easily. Using it for coyote hunting and use a sling. By the time i get to my set the windage will be moved, sometimes elevation too. The seem to move too easily and do not have a zero stop. Got a good buy, but i think i will sell if I cannot figure out something else. Is there anyway to tighten up the turrets? What about aftermarket turrets? What about rigging up some turret caps. An ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Trouble with Nikon M223

I'm not familiar with the M223.

I do have a couple of Nikons, clearest glass I own!

Have you called customer service? Mine do have a deal where I can pull the knobs, and reset the zero mark to the mark on the body. I thought the knobs screw was a tension screw at first. Is there a tension screw on your knobs?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js9088 View Post
I have a Nikon M223 3-12 on an AR. Decent glass, accurate adjustments and BDC. My problem is the BDC moves too easily. Using it for coyote hunting and use a sling. By the time i get to my set the windage will be moved, sometimes elevation too. The seem to move too easily and do not have a zero stop. Got a good buy, but i think i will sell if I cannot figure out something else. Is there anyway to tighten up the turrets? What about aftermarket turrets? What about rigging up some turret caps. An ideas would be appreciated.
Does the scope have provisions for scope turret caps?

If so this is an easy fix for a carry rifle.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM

No, there is no option to put a cap on it. I am going to use a neoprene cover for now. I think that will help, but is a minor inconvenience. All in all, I think I bought that scope as a solution to a problem I really don't have. Most of my shots are 200 and less and I have always been fine with a MPBR sight in. Should have just bought a plain Monarch/Lupy, etc.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 PM

Did reach Nikon customer service this afternoon. They apologized but said there are not really any options from their end.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

In other words, Nikon is not backing up their product? Not even,"send it to us, and we'll look at it"?

Did they even bother making the excuse that you are using it incorrectly?

Did your scope come with a user's manual, does it have something in there talking about knob detent tension adjustment, or some such?

Throw on a couple of O-rings, around the base of the knobs, thin and tight enough to make drag on the turrets. It may help keep out dust, etc. as well. A quick stop at an automotive parts store, should get you an o-ring the right size.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:07 AM

There does not appear to be a way to get the turret off. No set screws or anything. I will take some close up pictures tonight. Looks like there is a cover on the top that is glued on and would have to be pulled off....then I don't know what you would by able to cover them back up with.