Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Tripod Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Feisol PB70?

FEISOL Panning Base PB-70

Has anyone used this panning head? It looks like a nice package but I have not been able to find any specs on its weight or height.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Re: Tripod Help

I have been using this one for a little over a year. I am using it with my Vortex Razor hd 85mm. I shopped for a tripod that had all the features I wanted for months. I compaired most of them side by side but took a chance on this one and am really happy I did. It has been perfect. Some of the specs online say it weights 5 lb but that is the shipping weight with box and case. It comes in at just under 4 lb. it is extreamly stiff and steady. After using this one I see no reason for a $500 tripod ( yes I have used them). The ball head was something I wanted just to save some weight and bulk. It is not quite as handy as a pan head or pistol grip but I still would not trade it for either. Once you get used to the ball head it is very user friendly.
Polaroid PLTRIC 65" Carbon Fiber Tripod w/ Ball Head PLTRIC

I have no idea how i got into this 5 year old poast!

Last edited by jcoop; 02-07-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Im an idiot!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:58 AM

I use a manfrotto ball head mounted on a cabelas carbon fiber tripod. I like the ball head its small and light. I have used this setup for years and it has worked great. I have a really small silk tripod that I thought I would use for packing, I hated using it. I will always carry the bigger tripod. If you use your tripod for any length of time you will be glad to have the bigger, more flexible tripod. The small tripod will just make your neck ache.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Gold Member

Zeb, here is what I use and it works absoutely great for cutting weight and gives you a stable platform.
The one I use for spiking it out and when I want to go lighweight is the Velbon Maxi M. I've attached some photos for you and these will give you an idea of the size and some of the features. It is compact and with the outdoorsman grip head on it---it weighs 2 3/4 pounds. It has a detachable center post if you want to cut more weight and it goes down to 6 inches and when you fold the head down, it is very stable and very accurate to shoot off of. The maximum height is about 55 inches and you can stand and look through it but you have to bend down a little.
I never stand anyway and it works really really well for sitting. I think that the head weight is rated for 3.5 pounds but I've used a full size Zeiss spotter on it and had no issues and that was sitting---i would not do it standing up.
One of the photos compares it to a 338 ultra round and a medium outdoorsman tripod which l really like but its bulky.
I really like the extension features on the velbon---just twist and pull and set it for any length you want. And the best feature is the price----I think that I paid 128 bucks for it.
I also just noted the date on the earlier posts---oh well.

Hope this helps

Randy
Attached Images

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen

Last edited by mtnwrunner; 02-09-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Randy,That is interesting. I have a old outdoorsman and wanted smaller.They would not make it to there smaller size,which was not around when I purchased. I cut mine down to that size,and like it better for packing. The one you showed looked good.