Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

trail cameras... how much noise do they make?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: trail cameras... how much noise do they make?

on the black flash... is that something that a 200 dollar camera can do? Or do I have to pay upwards of 600 bucks for that?

What model(s) would have the feature of no detectable flash? I don't mind if I need to have it close... I can hide it in the wood pile that's right next to the cabin...
Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Theres some good options here but they are not cheap
Reconyx :: See What You've Been Missing... | RECONYX, Inc.

Im using a Moultrie M80 BLX which is cheaper but I havnt checked the flash to see if its visable at all, night shots are ok.Iv also got a ltl acorn 6210mm for the mms feature but the night flash is poor and it lets in moisture . They are in the process or redesinging the case but untill they fix the problem its a no go.

This is the Ltl Acorn at night.

Daytime shots are very good from both cameras. Things to considder are trigger time and sensitivity, megapixels are pretty much irrelevant once you get past 3.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

10-4... thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 PM

I just picked up a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD with the Black Flash here for covert trespasser surveillance. It was ~250 and does not emit visible light. It even has timelapse (good for watching large plots) and a HD video mode which lets you capture more than just 1 to 3 shots. All modes use the black flash.

The camera does make a barely audible click or thunk when it detects movement, but it has to be really quiet to hear it. If there's any ambient noise and/or you don't know it's there, you're not going to hear it.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Gold Member

ree...thanks for that information. I've seen that model, and am leaning in that direction... I appreciate the help.

Dan
Old 06-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

I would try a daylight only plotwatcher type of set up. The range of the true black flash is limited and the camera would have to be close. Set a plotwatcher type back a bit. Most less expensive cameras make noise when they transition from light/dark and again at dark/light. If it's the first pic after a change then you will get some noise. If you have a climber an some trees then set it up high where they will have a hard time getting it if they see it. GOOD LUCK!