Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Top Magnification Needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Top Magnification Needed?

I have a 7.5 lb 300 WSM carry gun that has a Kahles 3-9 with TDS and is more than capable of clean kills on deer out to 600-700

Key is an accurate chrono and ballistics program with custom reticle info such as exbal that allows you to determine exact zero ranges for each crosshair at certain powers. My settings allow me exact zeros from 317 to 840 between 6x and 9x. I am not comfortable at the lower powers and longer distances.

You can easily find a swarovski 6-18 or 3-12 with TDS on ebay or gunbroker for around $1000.

Buy the chrono and exbal and load it up on the computer and see the possibilities.

Unread 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Understood, Sharpstick. A person also has to be aware that as you age, the usable exit pupil goes down--from say, 6, when you are a young stud to about 4 when you are really getting along in age. So if a 56 mm objective has an exit pupil of 7 (at 8 power), my poor, old aging eye does not--at least in theory.

The more I think about it, the more I am tending toward strapping the 3-12x50 on the long-barrelled R.U.M., and putting either a Swaro 3-9X36 or 3-10X40 on the little tote gun.

As to my personal definitition of the term "long range", I really am not going to shoot at ranges that many on this board would call long, simply because I doubt I will be able to do so effectively at this point in life. I would like to be able to take a 500 yard shot, under ideal conditions, with a reasonable likelihood of making a kill. I might try such a shot (just being honest here) on a huge mule deer on the last evening of the season--that I could not approach more closely. But mostly, I would reserve such attempts to feral hogs.

Thanks to all.

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM

I am having to make the same decision. I'v started a 7mm Dakota build. I plan on using it on deer and elk out to 850 yards max. I am split between a vx4 er/t 6.5x20x50 or a schmidt and bender 3x12x50. Would the quality of the schmidt and bender on 12 power be all that is needed or would a person be better off with the higher magnification?
Unread 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM

I ended up making the following decision, based on the fact that "long range" for me is somewhat short of what most folks on this board mean by that term--it is highly doubful I will ever attempt a shot on game beyond 500 yards. Accordingly, with that in mind, in addition to the desirablitily of lighter weight and cost considertions:

1. I will move the 30 mm Swaro 3-12 X 50mm with TDS reticle to the new build in .300 RUM. Total weight, with scope, covers, sling, and 4 cartridges should be just over 9 1/2 pounds--not too bad for a 27 inch countour-5 barrel.

The main problem with this rig, I think, due to the focal plane, will be the amount of space covered by the reticle at "long" distance.

2. I will fit a 1 inch tube Swaro 3-10 X 40mm with ballistic reticle to the mountain rifle, which will bring the weight (as figured above) to exactly 6 pounds 14 ounces.

With this rig, the BR reticle will only be used for holdover at the power setting of 10 and the subtension will not increase except with regard to the distance.

Thanks to the folks who resonded for you assistance.\