Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

TMR adjusted to MOA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: TMR adjusted to MOA

Should be at the optics highest power--at least that's what mine is on my 8.5-25x.

Kiwi's right on, as basically reticle subtension is inversley proportional to magnification, assuming that the power ring is calibrated correctly.

U could always get one of Darrell Holland's Mil turrets for the Mk 4's.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
Should be at the optics highest power--at least that's what mine is on my 8.5-25x.

Kiwi's right on, as basically reticle subtension is inversley proportional to magnification, assuming that the power ring is calibrated correctly.

U could always get one of Darrell Holland's Mil turrets for the Mk 4's.
Does Holland offer a reticle that is just an MOA reticle? The one he offers is great I'm sure, but I've spent some time looking at it and it seems like it just is a bit too busy with combining MOA and Mils. It seems that if you want MOA knobs and MOA reticles, your choice are pretty limited.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Platinum Member

1 mil is 3.438moa @ 100yards, not 3.6...that would be inches.

Sounds like you need to set out a target with properly spaced marks @ 100 yards and find out...then you can let us know.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5x300 View Post
There must be a power setting on the Mark IV at which the Mil TMR rectical would become a unit of MOA? Like each line would equal 2 moa allowing for matched rectical and turrets.

Anyone care to clue me in as I don't have a LR scope yet and I'm torn between the Mark IV and the S3. A matched system seems like it would make sense.

Thanks

BT
Yes you can adjust your power setting on the Mark IV TMR so that the line spacing is in MOA. You need to be very precise however when measuring the distance to the target when adjusting your power setting. Here is the quick math to get you started. I'll assume the target is at 100 yds.

1 MOA = 1.047"
4 MOA = 4.188"
1 Mil (TMR reticle is Mil based) = 3.6"

So set up your target at 100 yds and turn the power ring down so that the 1 Mil line subtends exactly 4.188" instead of 3.6".

Now mark your power ring appropriately. I've done this method on my NF MLR reticle and was using the MOA holdovers out to 550 yds accurately. Just be very precise when measuring the distance so it is exactly 100 yds and your reticle is exactly 4.188".

Or reduce the distance to 50 yds (what I did) and adjust the values accordingly. I'll leave the math up to you.

Geb