Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

TMR adjusted to MOA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

TMR adjusted to MOA

There must be a power setting on the Mark IV at which the Mil TMR rectical would become a unit of MOA? Like each line would equal 2 moa allowing for matched rectical and turrets.

Anyone care to clue me in as I don't have a LR scope yet and I'm torn between the Mark IV and the S3. A matched system seems like it would make sense.

Thanks

BT
Old 08-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: TMR adjusted to MOA

If I remember correctly one mil = 3.6 MOA. To make the mark equal LESS than one mil you would need to increase the magnification of the scope above the magnification the TMR is calibrated for.
For example if the TMR was calibrated for 10X than increasing to 20X would halve the value and make the one mil mark equal to 1.8 MOA.

If you increase the calibrated magification by 1.8 that would make the one mil mark equal to 2 MOA and the half mil marks would equal 1 MOA.

My gut feeling is you won't be able to increase the magnifciation that much because they have probably calibrated the TMR reticle to work at near max magnification.

If you DECREASE the magnification to 0.9 of the calibrated mag eg 9X instead of 10X then the one mil mark will equal 4 MOA and the half mil equal 2 MOA.

The easiest way to do it is to make up an accurate 1 inch grid and place it at 100 yds. Fiddle with the scope magnification until the grids line up with what you want. 1.047 inches at 100 yds = 1 MOA.

Hope my ramblings make sense to you.

Stu.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member

I do not understand why Leupold offers MOA knobs, but then does not offern any MOA reticles. In fact, who does, besides NightForce? Greybull Precision seems to have Leupold making MOA reticles for them, right? There must be a few like USOptics or the new formerly Kenton Industries scopes (can't remember new name) or S and B maybe? I don't know. I would bet that it comes down to $ somewhere and I would theorize that the niche for true LR scopes with matched MOA reticles and knobs is pretty small.

Here's a question. Who knows the most reasonably priced scopes that do offer a combo of MOA knobs and reticle?

It would be interesting to figure out a magnification where you can turn Mildot into MOA to some degree. Probably not real practical, though, as outlined above.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Check out WOTAC scopes for matched turret and rectical under $400. Another scope I am considering maybe as a starter scope till either I can afford an NXS or another co. figures it out for less.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

The TMR reticle is a lot like the MP-8 from IOR so as long as Leupold calibrates the reticle @ 10x all you have to do is be able to get to 18X.
kiwi3006 has done the math but forgets that the TRR reticle is marked every mill.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
The TMR reticle is a lot like the MP-8 from IOR so as long as Leupold calibrates the reticle @ 10x all you have to do is be able to get to 18X.
kiwi3006 has done the math but forgets that the TRR reticle is marked every mill.
Actually re-read my first post, I did mention the 1/2 mil marks.

Quote:
If you increase the calibrated magification by 1.8 that would make the one mil mark equal to 2 MOA and the half mil marks would equal 1 MOA.
Stu
Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Sorrykiwi3006, I should actualy read the whole post.
The real question then is @ what power does Leupold calibrate the TMR reticle?