Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Titanium Rail Bases, Pros and Cons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Titanium Rail Bases, Pros and Cons

I am looking to learn something here.

I recently had a delima on regards to scope bases. I too was looking to save weight and went to a two peice base which ended up causing ALOT of accuracy and consistency issues from stress. Out of dire neccessity I bought a NF steel one peice base and bedded it to my action for scope/action stress relief. I needed a solution quick as I had a very important hunt less than 1 week away and couldnt worry about weight. The change worked and accuracy and consistency returned.

Now that the hunt is over I was concidering getting an AL base to save weight. My concern is that I have heard from more than one source that Al and steel react differently in differing tempratures. Is there any truth to this? Is AL on steel as reliable and consistent as steel on steel??
Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think you'll get any chemical reaction between the steel and aluminum. As far as their differences in how quickly each heats up or cools down ie one quicker than the other...I'm not metalogist but I'm thinking steel is more dense so may heat and cool slower than aluminum but I can't imagine a scenario where this would effect accuracy or platform integrity.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Aluminum and steel have different rates of thermal expansion.

That means that as the tempurature changes, steel and aluminum will expand at different rates.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

You know, Broz, you could just pick up a BAT HRPIC and then you wouldn't have this dilemma! Don't say I didn't tell you so!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

That is a good point with the expansion rates. I guess it could cause a problem using an aluminum base to a steel receiver in extreme cold or hot conditions. Especially when epoxy bedded at 70 degrees then taken to hunt in -24 below.

I am leaning toward trying the titanium, but inquiring about a recoil lug or do like Ken Ferrel does on some of his and add an angled set screw for an adjustable lug.

jmden, It was quite a process deciding on n action. After all the calls, some returned some not and the time frame for bear season..

This is what I have for the build with an extended tenion (sp).

Last edited by Broz; 01-11-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Broz,

That's a beauty!

How did you arrive at doing the extended tenon? Just more support for a long barrel?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

+1 w/JMden love the BAT action. Broz-Goergeous action, looks great.