Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

tikka owners please help with advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: tikka owners please help with advice...

Are there not screws on your "saddle rings" that hold them to the intrigal rail? Your set up is only as strong as the sheer strength of those screws.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Years back called Warne about a 20min 1913 rail for my Tikka we talked a while
and came up with one that was flat on the base would work
if you put new screw holes in the rear. Went over to a local gunsmith and showed
him what I had well at days end the 20min rail was mounted as a two piece rail
that I shimmed so there was about 7min to bottom the scope and back to a quick zero
We put number 8/ 32 or 40 screws which we had to tap over the reciever and
just in front of the bolt......
Very greatful to Warne for all the time they spent helping get this project going......
Old 08-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Are there not screws on your "saddle rings" that hold them to the intrigal rail? Your set up is only as strong as the sheer strength of those screws.

Not at all, the screws that pinch the Saddle Mount or Ring mount down to the integral ring are not the bearing surface. Yes their shear strength is important, but they are easily 10 times as big as the screws you would use to bolt Talleys down to the top of the receiver.

The most important part of the equation is that the those pinch bolts do not bear the shearing force themselves, they have the entire ring mount pad system to bear the shearing forces.

The shearing forces on a traditional bolt in system like the Talley are all on the screw, and the screw is tiny.

Look go down to Riverton or Cody to Rocky Mountain Sports and take a look at an integral mount on a Sako TRG or Tikka, and compare the bearing/shearing surfaces to that little 6x40 screw.

Not everyone likes big clunky mounts, if you don't that's totally fine. Just don't expect a 6x40 screw to be as strong as something that has locking abuttments, recesses, and integral mounts that bear the shearing forces.

My personal opinion on mounts has changed over the years. I used to be in love with Control Mounts, then I was a EAW guy, then I liked vertical split Talleys and Warnes, then I wanted the ring and base to be the all one unit like the Talley Ultralights, and now after 17 years of beating up military rifles I can see the beauty of integral mounts and more importantly saddle mount systems.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'll be the first to admit that. And big saddle mounts wouldn't win over someone like Jack O'Connor or Craig Boddington. But they are the strongest mount system we currently have.

Another way to make your favorite Talley mount stronger is to cut a slice of steel between the ring holes on the receiver and another between the ring holes on the bottom of the mount. Then utilizing Bisonite or some other steel filled epoxy fill that area. Essentially you are building a recoil abuttment for the rings. It doesn't have to be very thick or deep, just big enough for some epoxy to fill in the space. You can use a cutting disk on a dremel. Of course after it dries you will need to lap your rings, as this might warp the mount a bit if you didn't apply epoxy evenly.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

I just finished a setup on a T-3 Lite and posted results, on this site, under:

Tikka Help

I understand you don't want the DeadNutz but they do seem to work well. Otherwise, call EGW as I know their products are outstandind and they have what you need for Tikkas.

One edit: my scope was a 6.5-20x40 and I used the low set from Deadnutz, plenty of room for Butler Creeks's.

Last edited by Boom; 09-01-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Bronze Member

thanks guys for all the interesting reading.

lots more knowledgeable people around here than i am.

i went with the warne maxima in medium per a recommendation from the warne folks. could probably have used the low but with the little extra of the flip ups it came out okay.

the mounting of those ringmounts was not at all hard like some people said.

now to get her squared up. read a thread where the guy recommended making a target with an inverted T. dead on the intersection and then click the scope up to see if it tracks true. any ideas on this??